Musings - A Fun Joyful Thread

Feel free to record happy things that bring hope and joy to our restrictive current existence. 

I will always be grateful to two erstwhile friends, Kevin and Sue, for helping me overcome my shyness with females. 

What brought this on? 

Well although I have a sister, and we are close, we led separate lives really in childhood, with mostly separate friends and a gap of two years. 

We both went to separate grammar schools, nowhere near each other so no opportunity for social mixing. 

And I was too entranced at school in my extracurricular activities of singing in the school and church choir. 

When I moved to London and started work, there were no female professionals in my field, a very masculine environment. 

Gradually this changed, and I became friends with Sue, though not in a romantic way. We gelled, there were good times in a little clique and she gave me the female perspective on things. 

Kevin, like me, was a City of London insurance broker. 

He was in a longstanding relationship, I think with a childhood sweetheart, and incredibly comfortable with girls, and very able to speak "girl talk". 

I began to use Kevin as a role model, observing how he did this and picking up ideas. 

When I started to have the confidence to put these into action, I never looked back in my dating. 

And eventually I settled down and have continued to enjoy easy interaction with the other sex. 

It has enriched my life, and I thank Sue and Kevin for being the helpers that overcome my fears and self-worth issues in this respect. 

Edited by taurean