Access to work and DVLA

I was just wondering if anyone had any advise please about access to work due to being unable to drive due to OCD?

I have a driving licence but due to my OCD im terrified of driving as my OCD is telling me I would have hit someone :( I am looking into access to work as a job I am about to apply for is an hour away and unable to get to by public transport. Has anyone else applied for access to work for a taxi due to OCD and not being able to drive and have any advise?

Also, has anyone when applying for access to work been told them need to tell the DVLA about OCD?

Thank you for reading :)

Hi Lucy,

You have to tell the DVLA if your OCD affects your ability to drive safely. But you don't have to tell them about having OCD if it doesn't affect your driving.

Your OCD concern is that you might hit someone? So the question is, on a practical level how does this affect you?

If it means you're busy doing checking rituals ( for example excessively checking your mirrors, paying more attention on the route behind to make sure no bodies are lying in the road than you give to the road ahead) then maybe you're not as safe on the road as you should be and you need to tell the DVLA that you have OCD which affects your driving.

If it means you feel terror inside during and after, but drive normally while giving due care and attention to the space around you, then you don't need to inform the DVLA of anything.

Regarding Access to Work, my understanding is it's a scheme intended to enable employers to adapt their workspace so they can accommodate an employee with special needs or disability. I don't think it covers travelling to the place of work (by taxi or otherwise), but the only way to find out for sure is to ask them.

13 hours ago, snowbear said:

Hi Lucy,

You have to tell the DVLA if your OCD affects your ability to drive safely. But you don't have to tell them about having OCD if it doesn't affect your driving.

Your OCD concern is that you might hit someone? So the question is, on a practical level how does this affect you?

If it means you're busy doing checking rituals ( for example excessively checking your mirrors, paying more attention on the route behind to make sure no bodies are lying in the road than you give to the road ahead) then maybe you're not as safe on the road as you should be and you need to tell the DVLA that you have OCD which affects your driving.

If it means you feel terror inside during and after, but drive normally while giving due care and attention to the space around you, then you don't need to inform the DVLA of anything.

Regarding Access to Work, my understanding is it's a scheme intended to enable employers to adapt their workspace so they can accommodate an employee with special needs or disability. I don't think it covers travelling to the place of work (by taxi or otherwise), but the only way to find out for sure is to ask them.

I just wanted to say from someone who has used Access to Work that it does cover transport in some situations, obviously if you meet the eligibility criteria for it. It does seem that in your case, Lucy, there is no fixed guidance.

'money towards any extra travel costs to and from work if you can't use available public transport, or if you need help to adapt your vehicle.' - GOV.UK website.

I have nothing else to add as Snowbear has answered your question so well but just wanted to add this, so best wishes to you Lucy and hope you get the support from Access to Work you need. :)