Specilaist Treatment

Hi everyone

I am still struggling so badly with my smoke detector thought, it just isn't working out for me at all. 24/7 I am struggling and fixated by this.

I am actually looking your advice please, I am currently waiting on a referral to OHSPIC but now am wondering if I should have asked for a referral to ADRU London instead. Does anyone have any experience/opinions on these services, estimated current wait times and likelihood of a successful referral. Thanks

Robin, I would like you to think about your interactions here. You posted here, specifically asking if you had anything to worry about. You got an answer, from an expert.

It didn't help. Asking if you had anything to worry about was a compulsion. Compulsions dimply don't work. They might give you temporary relief but soon enough the thoughts start again and you're back to square one. 

The other side of compulsions is that they actually make things worse. They keep the topic top of mind where it bothers you so and actually causes more thoughts in the future.

Now knowing this, think back to what you have been doing since you got that answer. What compulsions have you been doing? Googling, researching, ruminating, asking for reassurance from others? Because the compulsions you do are what have you in such a mess right now.

21 hours ago, Robin43 said:

Hi everyone

I am still struggling so badly with my smoke detector thought, it just isn't working out for me at all. 24/7 I am struggling and fixated by this.

I am actually looking your advice please, I am currently waiting on a referral to OHSPIC but now am wondering if I should have asked for a referral to ADRU London instead. Does anyone have any experience/opinions on these services, estimated current wait times and likelihood of a successful referral. Thanks

Hi Robin, 

I had a three month treatment stay at the ADRU. I had a mixed experience there but the benefits included intensive CBT sessions (so starting from 4-5 per week and then reducing to 2-3) and daily occupational therapy sessions (classes such as cookery, art, pottery, trips to London- many of which posed various challenges to 'residents' so were used as part of therapy), however I should imagine that even once the ADRU re-opens (assuming it's currently closed) after Covid, these activities will be more limited to follow Covid guidelines so I'm not sure how things will work. 

I personally think that best thing just now would just be to look for accessible online CBT- whether through your IAPT or privately so that you can make some progress whilst waiting for you place! 

Also consider that thought dealt with because although we're not supposed to provide reassurance to other forum users, you got a fairly straightforward- that's definitely safe, verdict on your previous thread. 

23 hours ago, Robin43 said:

Does private inpatient intensive CBT/ERP Treatment exist in the UK for severe OCD?

Yes, at the Priory in North London and probably in quite a few other places. The quality of treatment probably isn't any different to treatment that you would receive at the inpatient ADRU or outpatient CADAT (via NHS) but you would get to stay in more comfortable accommodation (e.g. ensuite rather than sharing a bathroom). I have no experience of private inpatient treatment so can't say how expensive it is.