Let’s collectively take the fight to this OCD monster

So I have decided to rally the troops today as I’m feeling inspired or stupid or a bit of both. 

Anyway one of the issues I’ve had for the longest time involves my shorts and the cord you use to tie them. Whenever I go into the bathroom, I’m constantly thinking, did the cord touch the toilet basin. And my brother pees all over the toilet. Anyway, tonight, same as always. I wonder, did it touch? Well I only said screw it, left the bathroom, grabbed hold of that damn cord and then went on with my business. And it feels like **** but I’m still doing it. 

What I’m saying is we can do this people!

10 minutes ago, snowbear said:

:clapping: Good on you, Dave! That's the ticket. :yes:

Thank you SnowBear. It still feels like **** thinking I’ve touched something that touched the toilet but I know that the anxiety will eventually drop and there are worse things that happen at sea!

21 minutes ago, Nikki79 said:

This post has inspired me no end, thank you BigDave  ? 

It’s my pleasure. I know we can do this. I believe it is possible. It’s just a bully. 

2 hours ago, Nikki79 said:

A bully and a liar and we wouldn’t take that from any person in our daily lives so we shouldn’t take it from OCD either ? 

It is such a liar and it bullies all the time. For example, tonight, I disinfected my hand three times after I went to the toilet because I thought I may have brushed my hand over my crotch and got urine on my hand. That assumes a number of things and the chances are that there was none, but even if there were, my OCD is making a much bigger deal out of it than needs be. At the end of the day, the thought is what makes you feel bad. Not the reality. A little bit of urine is neither here nor there. Don’t get me wrong, I did disinfect my hands before I did anything else but that was wrong of me. 

9 hours ago, BigDave said:

It is such a liar and it bullies all the time. For example, tonight, I disinfected my hand three times after I went to the toilet because I thought I may have brushed my hand over my crotch and got urine on my hand. That assumes a number of things and the chances are that there was none, but even if there were, my OCD is making a much bigger deal out of it than needs be. At the end of the day, the thought is what makes you feel bad. Not the reality. A little bit of urine is neither here nor there. Don’t get me wrong, I did disinfect my hands before I did anything else but that was wrong of me. 

It’s so hard isn’t it? This morning I’m also fighting my own anxiety and absolutely terrified to even remember what it is that is worrying me. I know it happened a long time ago but the very possibility of what it could mean terrifies me. Like I was shaking earlier. 

20 hours ago, BigDave said:

Don’t get me wrong, I did disinfect my hands before I did anything else but that was wrong of me.

It may seem like you've not achieved anything, because you did give in and disinfect your hands. However, the fact your brain is starting to accept you didn't need to do that means you'll have more courage to stop the compulsions in future. Keep at it! Every compulsion you don't do is progress and every millimetre of progress counts. :)