Real cognition and short term memory problems.

I took a cholesterol drug called statins years ago, im only 30, if u read on these drugs many people end up with terrible side effects, some long term. Im having extreme brain fog, and memory problems. My ocd is playing on it too, but I literally forget things ive just done, but a step worse than that, is I feel like Im losing some autonomy at times. This is very scary and I dont know what to do. People on this forum seem to think the memory problem is part of my ocd, I can assure you its not. I suffer with dysautonomia, and many other things as a result of this statin, look it up btw you will find many stories like this. No doc will take this seriously, not really sure what to do at this point because this is beyond ocd, too.

Hey @humbleno1

have you considered getting professional help? You seem to be under a lot of distress and, while I understand the need to vent and share your feelings with others, taking on a more proactive approach could be worthwhile. Also, if you really believe these memory problems aren't OCD related, why not speak to a doctor? I don't really think anyone on this forum is qualified to help with something like that. You say that no doctor will take it seriously but have you tried? And finally, why does your memory issue distress you so much? Does it interfere with your ability to perform your job or do daily tasks? You say you feel as if you're losing autonomy, but what does that actually mean?

I had some very real physical sensations a few years ago that I thought were a sign of MS or some kind of neurological disorder. I went to see my GP and self referref to a physio. Neither of them could find anything wrong. Yet the feeling stayed with me for weeks, you may not believe it but it genuinely felt real. After really pushing to get help and some kind of diagnosis, I was told that maybe this was an anxiety thing. Once I started accepting that, the physical sensations went away and I have never felt them since.

I'm not saying that your memory problems aren't real. I'm just saying that if it's causing you real concern, you could speak to a doctor. However, if they can't find anything wrong, you may need to accept that the problem could be psychological. In any case, reaching out for professional help might be better than going around in circles.

On 15/04/2021 at 09:33, malina said:

Hey @humbleno1

have you considered getting professional help? You seem to be under a lot of distress and, while I understand the need to vent and share your feelings with others, taking on a more proactive approach could be worthwhile. Also, if you really believe these memory problems aren't OCD related, why not speak to a doctor? I don't really think anyone on this forum is qualified to help with something like that. You say that no doctor will take it seriously but have you tried? And finally, why does your memory issue distress you so much? Does it interfere with your ability to perform your job or do daily tasks? You say you feel as if you're losing autonomy, but what does that actually mean?

I had some very real physical sensations a few years ago that I thought were a sign of MS or some kind of neurological disorder. I went to see my GP and self referref to a physio. Neither of them could find anything wrong. Yet the feeling stayed with me for weeks, you may not believe it but it genuinely felt real. After really pushing to get help and some kind of diagnosis, I was told that maybe this was an anxiety thing. Once I started accepting that, the physical sensations went away and I have never felt them since.

I'm not saying that your memory problems aren't real. I'm just saying that if it's causing you real concern, you could speak to a doctor. However, if they can't find anything wrong, you may need to accept that the problem could be psychological. In any case, reaching out for professional help might be better than going around in circles.

Hi, yes my memory issue distresses me because my ocd plays on it. I dont have much faith in doctors etc, Ive been down that road and never got much help, my ocd resolves around thinking I have done something it always has for over ten years, I have to reality monitor and I seem to have a real hard time seperating fact from fiction when it comes to "false memories". The problem I now have, is a memory problem, that almost makes that impossible.

23 minutes ago, humbleno1 said:

Hi, yes my memory issue distresses me because my ocd plays on it. I dont have much faith in doctors etc, Ive been down that road and never got much help, my ocd resolves around thinking I have done something it always has for over ten years, I have to reality monitor and I seem to have a real hard time seperating fact from fiction when it comes to "false memories". The problem I now have, is a memory problem, that almost makes that impossible.

Thanks for clarifying this! So it looks like your memory problem interacts with your OCD, which makes your anxiety a lot worse right?

Other than the OCD aspect of it, does the memory issue create any problems for you in your daily life in terms of performing daily tasks, doing your job or remembering simple things like where things are etc?

58 minutes ago, malina said:

Thanks for clarifying this! So it looks like your memory problem interacts with your OCD, which makes your anxiety a lot worse right?

Other than the OCD aspect of it, does the memory issue create any problems for you in your daily life in terms of performing daily tasks, doing your job or remembering simple things like where things are etc?

sometimes but not so much at this point, but i did miss a train today as I had the time in my head wrong, i was utterly convinced it was this time.

1 hour ago, humbleno1 said:

sometimes but not so much at this point, but i did miss a train today as I had the time in my head wrong, i was utterly convinced it was this time.

So I would say that whether you have a genuine memory problem isn't really something that any of us can tell you, since we're not doctors and I don't think anyone can give advice beyond OCD related issues.

However, from what you've said, the main issue that the memory problem cause for you is the impact it has on your OCD. This is really important because, memory problem aside, OCD is still your biggest problem. You say that this memory problem stops you from being able to monitor your reality and tell apart false/real memories. A lot of people struggle with poor memory, yet they don't go around thinking they have done something bad and feel the need to monitor everything they do. It sounds incredibly stressful to need to monitor every moment of your life and this must cause you a great deal of unhappiness.

I don't think your issue is any more complex than anybody else's here, but you do need help. Why don't you trust doctors? So many of us have been through therapy and achieved real results. I mean I spent a year of my life incapacitated by the idea that I might try to hurt myself, yet I went through therapy and got my life back...and am obviously still very much alive :) It's obviously your decision but very much worth a try. Good luck!

2 hours ago, malina said:

So I would say that whether you have a genuine memory problem isn't really something that any of us can tell you, since we're not doctors and I don't think anyone can give advice beyond OCD related issues.

However, from what you've said, the main issue that the memory problem cause for you is the impact it has on your OCD. This is really important because, memory problem aside, OCD is still your biggest problem. You say that this memory problem stops you from being able to monitor your reality and tell apart false/real memories. A lot of people struggle with poor memory, yet they don't go around thinking they have done something bad and feel the need to monitor everything they do. It sounds incredibly stressful to need to monitor every moment of your life and this must cause you a great deal of unhappiness.

I don't think your issue is any more complex than anybody else's here, but you do need help. Why don't you trust doctors? So many of us have been through therapy and achieved real results. I mean I spent a year of my life incapacitated by the idea that I might try to hurt myself, yet I went through therapy and got my life back...and am obviously still very much alive :) It's obviously your decision but very much worth a try. Good luck!

ur probably right, because something really has to change here.