Just wanted to ask the community their thoughts on this and get an objective perspective.

I've started meditating daily - not excessively, just for an hour a day. It's something I'm finding I'm very much enjoying and look forward to each evening.

There's a part of me though that's now wondering if it's not just a "closet compulsion". It doesn't feel like one. I don't feel like I'm doing it in response to an intrusive thought, but I do chant a mantra and am now wondering if it isn't just becoming a subtle way of keeping thoughts at bay... hmmmm

What do you guys think?

Nope. Not a compulsion.

I encourage people to take up meditation, mindfulness, relaxation techniques. Anything that can lower your overall anxiety level is a good thing. 

These activities also bring your mind to the here and now, rather than worry about inconsequential things.

3 hours ago, FranticS said:

I do chant a mantra and am now wondering if it isn't just becoming a subtle way of keeping thoughts at bay.

Meditation is the opposite of ruminating.

Some people chant a mantra to get into the 'clear head' headspace of meditation, but as long as you're feeling totally relaxed and at peace while you chant I don't believe it's the same as doing a compulsion (for example, saying something repetitvely for self-reassurance or to neutralise a 'bad' thought.)

Maybe try limiting the length of time you chant for and aim to spend most of your meditation time in silence so you get the full relaxation benefit? :)

Thanks both! I think I'd just become aware that I'd gotten into some habits that, if not exactly unhealthy in themselves, had become a way of distracting myself whenever I felt anxious or ruminatory. It just felt that meditation might be a healthier way of spending some time with myself without just trying to drown everything out...