Hi everyone    just came off phone from having iapt assessment   Lovely person who asked assessment questions   Going to try computer based cbt    I thought this would start straight away but told 1-2 months   Being selfish I totally forgot how many people are trying to access help.  I think like many just had enough of living like this and want to move forward as quickly as I can.  Anyway, plan B  in the mean time is to carry on read break free from ocd and to try some exposure therapy myself starting with small steps    i think once I manage smaller steps my confidence will grow and hopefully I will be able to tackle bigger steps  

So far hand washing in 20 seconds and managed to keep same clothes for next day after taking dog for walk and blossom from the ground blowing all over my trousers    This probably sounds daft to others but the thought that the covid virus might have somehow got onto the blossom flowers and then transfered to my trousers was in my mind    Looking back how daft was that ocd thought however at the time took a lot of strength just to keep the clothes in my room and then put the same ones back on the next day    Didnt even shower    Hopefully I didn't smell ? 

1 hour ago, OPTIMISTIC said:

Hi everyone    just came off phone from having iapt assessment   Lovely person who asked assessment questions   Going to try computer based cbt    I thought this would start straight away but told 1-2 months   Being selfish I totally forgot how many people are trying to access help.  I think like many just had enough of living like this and want to move forward as quickly as I can.  Anyway, plan B  in the mean time is to carry on read break free from ocd and to try some exposure therapy myself starting with small steps    i think once I manage smaller steps my confidence will grow and hopefully I will be able to tackle bigger steps  

So far hand washing in 20 seconds and managed to keep same clothes for next day after taking dog for walk and blossom from the ground blowing all over my trousers    This probably sounds daft to others but the thought that the covid virus might have somehow got onto the blossom flowers and then transfered to my trousers was in my mind    Looking back how daft was that ocd thought however at the time took a lot of strength just to keep the clothes in my room and then put the same ones back on the next day    Didnt even shower    Hopefully I didn't smell ? 

Amazing work with re-wearing the dog-walking clothes Optimistic! that's brilliant. :) 

I'm sorry you have to wait for therapy- you aren't being selfish to want it sooner, it would be good if CBT was available with less of a wait. Your plan to read 'Break free' and start some self-directed ERP sounds like a good one though.

Do you have any plans for ERP/CBT this week? I've just had a therapy session and I need to touch the floor without handwashing and go to a cafe again this week (I hadn't been to one for years until last week!).

Thank you for the support I very much appreciate it.  I think carrying on with not changing clothes and wearing them for a few days unless smelly or actually dirty is a good idea .  Also not showering for a few days unless stink ?  This should sort that ocd thoughts out.  Would like to extend this to sitting down on a bench and not changing when I get back.  If I can do that then sitting and having a coffee at a cafe should be next step.  Also Friday whilst granddaughter at tutor in her garden my daughter and me are going to venture into shops   Probably won't touch anything but its next step   Still extremely worried about not wiping things over or putting them aside for about three days  

Good luck with your next steps

Ive got a plan.   I'm going to make a list of things to do such as sorting photographs into albums and DIY so when riding the anxiety out I have something to occupy my mind instead of sitting and letting my ocd play with my mind    Watching TV doesn't always go well maybe because I'm sitting still?  So I think depending on how intense the exposure doing something physical would be a better idea   

Has anyone got any advice on this please 

On 13/05/2021 at 08:41, OPTIMISTIC said:

Ive got a plan.   I'm going to make a list of things to do such as sorting photographs into albums and DIY so when riding the anxiety out I have something to occupy my mind instead of sitting and letting my ocd play with my mind    Watching TV doesn't always go well maybe because I'm sitting still?  So I think depending on how intense the exposure doing something physical would be a better idea   

Has anyone got any advice on this please 

That sounds like a great plan Optimistic- provided it's not a way of avoiding the anxiety but rather a way of continuing what you're doing despite the anxiety (i.e. letting it be there, rather than running from it).

18 hours ago, BelAnna said:

That sounds like a great plan Optimistic- provided it's not a way of avoiding the anxiety but rather a way of continuing what you're doing despite the anxiety (i.e. letting it be there, rather than running from it).

Ah I see what you are getting at   I didn't think of that.   So I need to recognise that I'm anxious and why and then carry on doing things without say changing my clothes 

I had a web chat with someone from qwell    I was sent the link from the assessor whilst waiting for cbt    They were very helpful and understood things    Has anyone else tried this site