Thursday morning zoom support group

Hi Everyone, 

Just in case anyone from the Thursday morning OCD support decided to join/post on the forum this week I thought maybe we could have a/n (unofficial) thread to discuss how the week is going. ?

The group is run by OCDuk and open to everyone and so is this thread! No need to identify yourself by your support group/real name if you'd rather not! 

Edited by BelAnna
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there, I signed up for the forum hoping for this! ?

I too am a Thurs AM support group member altho by a different screen name. 

Its really good to connect with people that understand. 

Obs, be great to hear from support group people and all other forum members here. Defo all welcome, as we are all in the same boat after all. 

Overall I think im doing better with my OCD, altho far from being in recovery. 

This week has been tough tho. I just get so exhausted and then everything else goes out the window. I just want to sleep! 

How is your week going? 

Aw, sorry you're having a rough week! That's great that you're doing better with your OCD in general though! Is it the OCD that is making you exhausted at the moment or do you have lots going on? 

I'm okay thank you! I've got a therapy appointment this week so trying to get my 'homework' sorted for that and working on managing my OCD better day to day! The contamination aspect of my OCD is a bit of a pain at the moment though! 

The support group is great isn't it- I put off joining for ages due to anxiety and I'm still yet to actually speak but get so much from hearing how everyone is dealing with their OCD! 

Do you have anything nice planned for this week? I loved the idea of 'pockets of positivity' at the meeting. ?

Its a mix of hormones, OCD, and seeing people more as lock down lifts, I think. 

Hope your homework is going OK? Day to day management if deffo where its at. In fact, it's the little things we do each day that add up to the big successes over time, so hang in there.  :)

I really get so much out of the support group, and glad you do too! I haven't spoken yet, but am feeling more ready to. Hopefully it will happen soon! 

Yes the pockets of positivity is a great idea! Have you had any good ones this week? ?

Aw that's difficult, hormones do seem to have a huge impact on OCD. I hope you start feeling better soon! Do you have any contamination fears RE. lockdown lifting or do you find it tricky for another reason?

Yes, the 'homework' is going okay thanks :) - I have to fill in some 'Thought record sheets', which I find a bit tricky as writing down my OCD thoughts makes me more anxious but at least I'm making some progress! I also have to identify five 'core values', which I've actually found really helpful as it's taking the focus away from my OCD and focusing on what I would like life to look like more generally. 

I hope it goes well this/next week if you do feel up to speaking! My first step is to get around to turning my camera on I think. 

I've had some positive moments this week- nice walks with our dog in the countryside in the sunshine, taking time to enjoy some nice foods and focusing on any forward steps I'm making with my OCD/life in general. Have you had any nice moments in the last week?

Edited by BelAnna

Yes contamination, and social anxiety. I dont want people to see me get triggered as I find this really embarrassing! 

Hope you have got writing down your thoughts OK, it can be tough! 

The core values thing is something I am working on at the moment too and i'm finding it very helpful. It just gives that extra bit of motivation to ERP. 

Dog walks in the countryside sounds lovely. I'd love a dog, although i'm not sure my cats would be too keen! Lol!

What nice food have you had? We get meal boxes at the mo and i'm cooking all sorts of things I prob wouldn't try on my own. Its fun! 

Oh, and my pockets of positivity for tis last week is joyful movement. That is moving my body because its fun and not just to burn calories! :)

Yes contamination, and social anxiety. I dont want people to see me get triggered as I find this really embarrassing! 

It's such a tricky combination isn't it? I have social anxiety too and feel very embarrassed about how people see me when I'm reacting to things that trigger my OCD. Social Anxiety and OCD together cause me to avoid doing a lot of normal things like going to the supermarket or walking into the local town so I need to get a handle on both! 

Hope you have got writing down your thoughts OK, it can be tough! 

I did write some OCD thought logs but didn't send them to my Psychologist in the end, which was a bit silly!

The core values thing is something I am working on at the moment too and i'm finding it very helpful. It just gives that extra bit of motivation to ERP. 

Yeah, it's really good actually because I think our values and sense of self can get lost in amongst the OCD sometimes.

Dog walks in the countryside sounds lovely. I'd love a dog, although i'm not sure my cats would be too keen! Lol!

Aw haha, yeah maybe they wouldn't! I love cats though! I do enjoy our walks, although there are often OCD triggers along to way! 

What nice food have you had? We get meal boxes at the mo and i'm cooking all sorts of things I prob wouldn't try on my own. Its fun! 

This past week we've had low calorie Chinese fake-away (homemade), fajitas and pasta. What kind of meals have you been making with the boxes? They sounds like a great idea!

Oh, and my pockets of positivity for tis last week is joyful movement. That is moving my body because its fun and not just to burn calories! :)

That's nice - have you been dancing/running/walking? :) I'm thinking of starting yoga and maybe getting back into running for fun!  

Edited by BelAnna

It's such a tricky combination isn't it? I have social anxiety too and feel very embarrassed about how people see me when I'm reacting to things that trigger my OCD. Social Anxiety and OCD together cause me to avoid doing a lot of normal things like going to the supermarket or walking into the local town so I need to get a handle on both! 

Im the same, i'm actually better going to places that aren't local because it makes my SA easier. It tough sometimes tho, feels pretty limiting. 

I did write some OCD thought logs but didn't send them to my Psychologist in the end, which was a bit silly!

Well you did the task so that is really good. Remember small wins add up :)

Yeah, it's really good actually because I think our values and sense of self can get lost in amongst the OCD sometimes.

I agree, it's helped me to get a better perspective on myself. I have to remember to not hold on to tight tho, and be compassionate (one of my values?) with myself. 

Aw haha, yeah maybe they wouldn't! I love cats though! I do enjoy our walks, although there are often OCD triggers along to way! 

Good work for doing them anyway. Im not so great on going on walks at the mo! What kind of dog do you  have?

This past week we've had low calorie Chinese fake-away (homemade), fajitas and pasta. What kind of meals have you been making with the boxes? They sounds like a great idea!

Sounds yum! I made a mac and cheese topped ragu the other week, and you had to do a rue and a béchamel sauce, and i was dead impressed with myself! Lol!  

That's nice - have you been dancing/running/walking?  I'm thinking of starting yoga and maybe getting back into running for fun!  

Actually yoga (love it) , and some dancing. Have you been into run before?

On 30/04/2021 at 18:51, Faultybraintank said:

I'm the same, i'm actually better going to places that aren't local because it makes my SA easier. It tough sometimes tho, feels pretty limiting. 

Yes me too definitely- it's worse if I might bump into someone I know! Have you spoken to anyone (i.e. therapists) about the S.A.?

Well you did the task so that is really good. Remember small wins add up :)

Thank you! are you having therapy just now too?

Yeah, it's really good actually because I think our values and sense of self can get lost in amongst the OCD sometimes.I agree, it's helped me to get a better perspective on myself. I have to remember to not hold on to tight tho, and be compassionate (one of my values?) with myself. 

That sounds like a good idea (to practise some self-directed compassion sometimes). One of my five core values is very similar. 

Good work for doing them anyway. Im not so great on going on walks at the mo! What kind of dog do you  have?

Thanks! yeah they are a challenge- I couldn't walk her through town but can just about manage to walk in the countryside (as I have specific triggers to my contamination OCD). I have a golden retriever- she's great! 

Sounds yum! I made a mac and cheese topped ragu the other week, and you had to do a rue and a béchamel sauce, and i was dead impressed with myself! Lol!  

That sounds delicious- I'd be impressed with myself too for doing that! 

That's nice - have you been dancing/running/walking?  I'm thinking of starting yoga and maybe getting back into running for fun!  Actually yoga (love it) , and some dancing. Have you been into run before? Aw that sounds really fun! do you have live online sessions or watch youtube yoga videos? Yes, I used to run daily in my twenties but have got a bit fat recently and I haven't run for 18 months now! 

How was this week's group? :) I'm on a holiday/break in Scotland at the moment with family so missed this one.

Edited by BelAnna
On 23/04/2021 at 10:47, BelAnna said:

The group is run by OCDuk and open to everyone and so is this thread! No need to identify yourself by your support group/real name if you'd rather not! 

Oh just to say that this thread isn't run by OCDuk, just open to all. OCDuk obviously moderate the forum though so that makes it more secure than having a Facebook support group, group! 

On 14/05/2021 at 18:11, Faultybraintank said:

Hey all, 

There is a OCD drawing zoom session with Zoe on 3rd June, if anyone fancies it. 

I might give it a go :)

That sounds good! I'm still not able to appear on camera so maybe can't participate but it sounds fun! :)

@BelAnna I wont be appearing on camera either. lol. 

I might try and show my work somehow, but haven't figured that out yet. Plus big anxiety to overcome. 

Basically it sounds similar to the way support groups are run and you can talk or use chat or camera if you like but you dont have to. 

here the link if you are interested : https://www.ocduk.org/drawing-with-zoe/

:)

This sounds really good--I would love a support group--how do you get the info to join? Sounds like you can have the camera off for the session?

But even without joining the session i would like to join this thread as an on-going support if that's ok.

Hi L.M,

:welcome: to the group! How are you?

Here is the link to sign up> www.ocduk.org/support-groups/online.The Thursday morning group is at 10.15 and everyone is really lovely. It's fine not to appear on camera and it's completely up to you whether or not you speak and/or type in the group chat box (usually around 5-10 people [of the 30-something participants] volunteer to speak and the rest type in the chat box).

Edited by BelAnna
16 hours ago, L.M. said:

Sounds like you can have the camera off for the session?

14 hours ago, BelAnna said:

It's fine not to appear on camera

You can stay off camera, and most people do the first time they join. But we are encouraging users to share their cameras eventually when they feel able to as we are trying to recreate traditional support group environment the best we can, so that we can see and support each other, rather than just creating a telephone type support group.  Some people share their camera when talking, but turn it off when not talking, which is also fine :)