Hey guys I’m doing well to apply what I’ve learned in therapy but I’m struggling with one it’s after I apply it. So when you apply steps to reign your anxiety in and that works but find after a time it comes back, well do you keep just doing the same work to reign in the anxiety. 

thanks for reading guys, feeling good and empowered tackling my ocd no matter what the thoughts throw at me. ? 

What do you mean by reign your anxiety in? If its using the cognitive part of cbt to analyse the proofs, it can become compulsive. If you are using breathing techniques or other relaxation techniques, that can also become compulsif. The whole thing about erp is not to try to control you anxiety. 

if by reigning in you mean sitting with it, without trying to do any mental or physical compulsion, then yes that’s the way to go, keep patient and eventually the episodes will become less frequent and less intense. Congratulations on taking on this work, it’s difficult work but it’s lifechanging. 

2 hours ago, Nikki79 said:

I definitely feel a bit low aswell at the moment which is effecting my progress with ocd. 

Don’t be too harsh on yourself in that case. I do find when I am low that my OCD is worse. Take it easy on yourself, you know that you know what to do, and that it has worked before. Keep doing what you know works :)

11 hours ago, Hdigtts said:

Don’t be too harsh on yourself in that case. I do find when I am low that my OCD is worse. Take it easy on yourself, you know that you know what to do, and that it has worked before. Keep doing what you know works :)

I’m sort of panicking a bit tho about my low mood and then the ocd, worrying I can’t cope or won’t cope. I have an appointment with a Psychiatrist tommorow. 

34 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

What else are you doing with your afternoon Nikki?  Looks like you've got a lot of internal dialogue going on.  What can you do to break the cycle?

I do Caramoole. I’m having hateful thoughts anoint myself, panicking and wondering how I’m going to feel like I can enjoy life again around this anxiety and sadness that I feel. I’m stuck in my head about it all and feel so alone. I told my partner how I feel and he didn’t know what to say so I just left the room again. 

It's still rumination Nikki, even if not strictly OCD but it's the same thing.  If someone else were sat in the room lecturing you all day with negative stuff you'd feel pretty naff and low, wouldn't you?  You're doing the same to yourself.  Change the message to "I know I can feel better than this".  Tell your partner you feel shocking, I know it's probably a horrid day (raining here) but go out for a drive, get coats on and walk to the park or do something in the house but don't just sit there....it gives you a huge space to ruminate.  You have to learn new ways of moving forward and that usually involves Keeping Calm and Carrying On

1 hour ago, Caramoole said:

It's still rumination Nikki, even if not strictly OCD but it's the same thing.  If someone else were sat in the room lecturing you all day with negative stuff you'd feel pretty naff and low, wouldn't you?  You're doing the same to yourself.  Change the message to "I know I can feel better than this".  Tell your partner you feel shocking, I know it's probably a horrid day (raining here) but go out for a drive, get coats on and walk to the park or do something in the house but don't just sit there....it gives you a huge space to ruminate.  You have to learn new ways of moving forward and that usually involves Keeping Calm and Carrying 

Just now, Nikki79 said:
1 hour ago, Caramoole said:

It's still rumination Nikki, even if not strictly OCD but it's the same thing.  If someone else were sat in the room lecturing you all day with negative stuff you'd feel pretty naff and low, wouldn't you?  You're doing the same to yourself.  Change the message to "I know I can feel better than this".  Tell your partner you feel shocking, I know it's probably a horrid day (raining here) but go out for a drive, get coats on and walk to the park or do something in the house but don't just sit there....it gives you a huge space to ruminate.  You have to learn new ways of moving forward and that usually involves Keeping Calm and Carrying 

Expand  

I totally agree I’m absolutely exhausted from mental dialogue and I do need to make some positive moves for a better life. Luckily I have a wonderful father who came to me today and shook me out of this blip I was in. I’m feeling more positive and determined again. I do see a psychiatrist in the morning aswell so I will see what they say too.

Hi Nicki, 

sorry to see your not coping too well at the minute it’s a big positive that you have an appointment with a phychiatrist tomo though just tell them everything that is going on. 
I’ve not be good to he last few days I went back to work last week and was pretty exhausted especially with ocd thrown in.

ive had a few days of but felt pretty rubbish been trying to keep busy and have been doing a jigsaw puzzle ? ?.

I am still waiting to see a phychiatrist even though I’m on meds I think it will be good to have them reviewed.

just remember your doing well your seeking help which is a good thing ! 

Let me know how you get on at your appointment x 

2 hours ago, sesa1979 said:

Hi Nicki, 

sorry to see your not coping too well at the minute it’s a big positive that you have an appointment with a phychiatrist tomo though just tell them everything that is going on. 
I’ve not be good to he last few days I went back to work last week and was pretty exhausted especially with ocd thrown in.

ive had a few days of but felt pretty rubbish been trying to keep busy and have been doing a jigsaw puzzle ? ?.

I am still waiting to see a phychiatrist even though I’m on meds I think it will be good to have them reviewed.

just remember your doing well your seeking help which is a good thing ! 

Let me know how you get on at your appointment x 

Thanks Sesa! I know exactly how you are feeling too, I’m also working and carrying this ocd burden around. I am going to tell them exactly how I’m feeling tomorrow cos I can’t be feeling like this and I’m always so proactive in trying to cope better but when I get to beaten down then I need some extra help for sure. I hope you are having a good evening x

You sound just like me I am always on the go and like to achieve goals etc.

But since this ocd had came I feel like part of me has been taken away I’m searching for my old self with all my values and things I love it’s exhausting when I was well I could look at back at it and see it for what it is just a thought.

stress has definitely not helped it’s the feeling scared all the time.

Good luck for tomorrow x 

54 minutes ago, sesa1979 said:

You sound just like me I am always on the go and like to achieve goals etc.

But since this ocd had came I feel like part of me has been taken away I’m searching for my old self with all my values and things I love it’s exhausting when I was well I could look at back at it and see it for what it is just a thought.

stress has definitely not helped it’s the feeling scared all the time.

Good luck for tomorrow x 

Thank you Mate X.I certainly can love life and be very functional when I’m good but the past month has been very difficult. It’s really hard for our loved ones to watch us suffer and they always say it’s needless suffering and it is I’m sure. 
I think the longer the suffering goes on the more stuck in the thoughts and believing in the thoughts we become. 
thank so much for the good luck, I’ll let you know how it goes. Good Night friend x

Hi guys! I met with a Psychiatrist this morning and she has upped my medication for the next month and we will see how that goes. I will go back to her in a month then to see how I am progressing. I’m very proud of myself because I only spoke about the medication and I didn’t go into a conversation on my thoughts etc...

1 hour ago, Nikki79 said:

Hi guys! I met with a Psychiatrist this morning and she has upped my medication for the next month and we will see how that goes. I will go back to her in a month then to see how I am progressing. I’m very proud of myself because I only spoke about the medication and I didn’t go into a conversation on my thoughts etc...

Just wanted to say well done Nikki!! I've been reading your threads and cheering you on from afar! xx

1 hour ago, AnonGirl said:

Just wanted to say well done Nikki!! I've been reading your threads and cheering you on from afar! xx

Thank you mate!! I’m practicing a more positive stance today you do have to decide it and it can be done. Accepting my OCD is something I’m working on. 

50 minutes ago, Nikki79 said:

Thank you mate!! I’m practicing a more positive stance today you do have to decide it and it can be done. Accepting my OCD is something I’m working on. 

Oh yes I get this sooo much - it is a question of willpower, even when you don't feel like it, to resist those compulsions. My biggest one is asking my boyfriend for reassurance and I literally have to force myself not to text him, even whilst crying my eyes out and then being really strict in not engaging with the questions my OCD throws at me. It is SO HARD but I try to remember that when it feels hard, those are the moments I really have to stick with it as they are the times I will grow the most. But, man it is T.I.R.I.N.G and so is ERP but GO US ALL

6 hours ago, Nikki79 said:

Well done Nikki that’s amazing ! 
I hope the medication helps you !