Has your ocd worse during lock down

Hi there I was just wondering if you find your ocd as gotten worse since lock down and this pandemic has started. I feel mine has but I am still coping ok. My problem is change and so nice we have started to come out of lock down. I did my really like to be on my own too much as my ocd thoughts are worse. My hubby belongs to a number of local concert bands and of course he hasn’t been going so we have spent our evening together. From next week he is going back to them and of course he should but I am obsessing about being on my own. I have a problem with dates and think some thing is going happen while I am on my own. Know this is irrational and once he starts going I will get ver this. I just hate this illness and just want to think normally. My ocd is s worse in the morning and get a lot better by the evening . Does you ocd react like this. Most of the time I cope very well and hold down a job. I just think this situation has made these worse. Thanks for listening

Hi Chirpy,

I think a lot of people will identify with the things you've mentioned in your post. Things like, the stress caused by coming in and out of lockdowns where you might have to be on your own again or for some go out again and I hear many people with OCD saying their symptoms are worse in the morning. I think not having a routine has really made it difficult as for many their normal coping strategies have been disrupted. There is also some natural avoidance, like never being alone because loved ones are working from home. 

I think there will definitely be an adjustment period that will be challenging for many. If you can, try to rely on what you've learn in CBT where you can and try to be compassionate with yourself as this is an unprecedented situation and it's OK if you find it hard at times :)

Gemma

Hi Chirpy. I actually really liked the lockdowns. I am also feeling anxious now the country is opening up. My husband will go out to the pubs again, my teenagers will be out drinking...i will be worrying about them and obsessing..i.will also be feeling more alone. I really empathise with you. I also struggle with change. I have come to realise we have to work on ourselves and our happiness as it's impossible to control the future. I am going to work on having more fun myself instead of just stressing out about my family living their lives. I have not looked after myself in way of my wellbeing for so long, maybe it's the same with you. I think it's time I concentrated more on my happiness. What about you? Do you have hobbies?

My OCD doesn't really get worse in the morning but from what I have read lots of people agree with you on that one.  OCD and anxiety are cruel but i suppose we just have to do our best to fight back x

Edited by MarieJo