Hi everyone,

Since 1st March 2021 I have been suffering from panic attacks and OCD intrusive thoughts. I have gone to the doctor who has given me anti anxiety medication and I am seeing a therapist for CBT weekly. However nearly everyday I feel out of control with my body. I have thoughts that ‘people aren’t real’ or ‘the world is not real’. It is terrifying and at times hard to get out of my mind. Every day my vision goes blurry, colours heighten and heart races – which I believe are panic symptoms.

Can someone please tell me that I am not alone. Has anyone else had these kinds of thoughts and recovered back to a peaceful life? I am a university student and I think the pressures of the past year has brought this on.

Many thanks.

H x

Hi Hfeather,

You are definitely not the only person to have had thoughts like 'the world is not real', and I understand how distressing they must be for you. I know it may feel hard to believe at the moment, but you, like anyone with OCD, can get to the point where you simply aren't bothered by these thoughts at all. It might just take some time and support from a good therapist :)

Have you spoken to your therapist about how you're feeling day to day and are you developing any ways to challenge some of the compulsions that might be keeping these thoughts coming back and being so upsetting?

Gemma :)

I have spoke to my therapist about the scary thoughts I get daily but I just feel like I havent got any further to where I was 2 months ago.

Recovery is going very slow. At lot of the time I just feel hopeless ☹️

Sometimes medication can also change how you feel and experiences especially if you've not long started. When I was on medication my symptoms got worse and it felt like everything/everyone was in slow motion. Dentistry is cool! Feel free to message me at any time. 

Hi Hfeather,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are feeling hopeless at the moment, it's really hard when we don't feel like we're getting anywhere. Have you explained to your therapist that you are not feeling any better? Are you seeing your therapist through the NHS or privately? It might be worth looking into changing therapist, as after two months you really should be seeing some improvement in your day to day life.

Gemma