Real Events that Cause Anxiety

One of my worst parts of my ocd is my obsessions over fears of harm I think have done by my actions.  Especially when when I have I done things that bother me but anyone else I talk to just laugh things off.  I am so concerned about doing wrong that I am hyper sensitive to my actions in relation to those around me.  My compulsions in relation to this is largely focusing on how terrible the thing I did was and the damage/trouble that I fear will befall me or my family.   Not sure that I am looking for any response, just wanted to get it off my chest.  

My triggers are often real events. If I make a mistake , eg forget to wash my hands  (and I mean genuinely forget , like before preparing lunch or after visiting loo etc) or I accidently knock someone etc etc then ocd exaggerates the consequences .

Knowing its ocd helped a lot. Meds and therapy too. Lots of self help books and constant relapse prevention and not getting complacent help too.

When a trigger comes I find if I can discipline myself to get busy it passes quickly. It's like fighting the urge to ruminate . I see the urge as wolves I have to conquer and it helps me fight the urge.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by ecomum

One of the questions therapists often ask is "How would a friend (non-sufferer) react?"

As Mulligan mentions, they usually laugh it off.  This is because they  just don't consider it as a problem.  We talk about "Real life events"  but they're not things that we'd even class as an event, much less an important one.