3 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

Sadly, much of the advice has now just become another source of reassurance wrapped up in the disguise of advice.

This is so true because we do offer the 24/7 help that you need. Any time you feel bad, you can log on to the forum and speak to helpful people within minutes. If you didn't have this kind of support, I guarantee @Cora you'd be fighting tooth and nail to get a therapist.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, malina said:

Look @Cora, I think it's a bit premature to sit here and talk about how you want to, but can't engage with therapy when you don't even have a therapist! Do you think that, for the time being, you can commit to trying to find a therapist? And, if not, why?

Hey @malina,

I do have a therapist. It's the same one I did therapy 2 months ago. I just can't see her yet because I have to finish my appointments with the Primary Care Team first. And I hope next week will be the last one.

1 minute ago, Cora said:

Hey @malina,

I do have a therapist. It's the same one I did therapy 2 months ago. I just can't see her yet because I have to finish my appointments with the Primary Care Team first. And I hope next week will be the last one.

Then there is your solution and all this discussion is going in circles for no reason. Make an appointment with your therapist as soon as you can and be open with her about how you feel. Tell her about how hopeless you feel, how you don't feel you can do the things she asks. In the meantime, you have to be strong and resist the urge to do compulsions and to make things harder for yourself.

12 minutes ago, malina said:

Then there is your solution and all this discussion is going in circles for no reason. Make an appointment with your therapist as soon as you can and be open with her about how you feel. Tell her about how hopeless you feel, how you don't feel you can do the things she asks. In the meantime, you have to be strong and resist the urge to do compulsions and to make things harder for yourself.

Okay, @malina, I will do that. 

I know I feel hopeless, but do you think I can do this? Do you think I can stop this mess? Do you think there's still hope for me? 

1 hour ago, Cora said:

Okay, @malina, I will do that. 

I know I feel hopeless, but do you think I can do this? Do you think I can stop this mess? Do you think there's still hope for me? 

I think you are one of these people with a very good chance of getting better because you're young and you have a lot of positive things in your life that are worth fighting for. You also have good resources available to you. Most of all, I think that you're much stronger than you think. But no good thing comes without effort, so you have to stop wasting time and get started!

1 minute ago, malina said:

How did it go with primary care this week @Cora?

Hey @malina, thank you so much for checking in ☺.

Well, they've decided to put me on some more medication as my mood is still not great (I'm currently only on sertraline). I've got another appointment with them on the 24th and hopefully then I can go back to therapy. 

5 minutes ago, Cora said:

Hey @malina, thank you so much for checking in ☺.

Well, they've decided to put me on some more medication as my mood is still not great (I'm currently only on sertraline). I've got another appointment with them on the 24th and hopefully then I can go back to therapy. 

That's good! Just a few more weeks and hopefully you'll be able to start therapy again. Hang in there!!

Why haven't they recommended any therapy via them, why are you having to revert back to a private therapist? Have you asked?  I'm a bit disappointed that their role has been more of a "checking in on you" one, rather than providing you with effective support like CBT

1 hour ago, Caramoole said:

Why haven't they recommended any therapy via them, why are you having to revert back to a private therapist? Have you asked?  I'm a bit disappointed that their role has been more of a "checking in on you" one, rather than providing you with effective support like CBT

Hey @Caramoole

Well, the lady I have my appointments with said that unfortunately she only has some basic knowledge about OCD and how CBT works but can't actually help me because she is not trained in this. But she is making sure that I'm okay which I appreciate. 

1 minute ago, Cora said:

Hey @Caramoole

Well, the lady I have my appointments with said that unfortunately she only has some basic knowledge about OCD and how CBT works but can't actually help me because she is not trained in this. But she is making sure that I'm okay which I appreciate. 

Yes, I understand that & that's what concerns me.  It sounds as though you're being seen by a Psychiatric Nurse maybe & she's checking you're okay following a crisis.  We tend to be very passive in these situations & accept what's doled out to us ( even more so when we're younger).  Have you asked her if you can be referred (within the service) for some CBT?  If you haven't, you should.  Ideally, they shouldn't be looking at a medication only solution, you should be asking/pushing for some CBT via them