Stories of recovery

Hello all!

I’m doing alright lately. Not giving into long-winded compulsions, and knowing I will get therapy at some point this summer. Just trying to think about other things, even though I do still practice avoidance from time to time (though as the days go by I take my current obsession less seriously and begin to not feel the need to avoid things related to it so much).

I wondered if, to encourage me and others to stay on a path of perseverance, if anyone who has recovered would mind sharing their experiences. It doesn’t have to be long-winded at all, just maybe a moment you noticed after much effort that these thoughts did not seem so bad, that you suddenly felt you had more control of your mind and life back. I’m aware everyone’s journey will be different, but hearing something motivational would be nice right now!

Only if anyone wants to, of course. 

Hi Pikachu,

That sounds like a great idea for a positive thread- we all need some inspiration when things are tough.

I'm still very much an OCD 'sufferer' rather than recovered but I know that some people on the forum have recovered. @PolarBear, not sure if you feel like sharing part of your recovery story? 

• 2 weeks later...

Does nobody have one? I’ve just been feeling low lately and could really use some motivation. I’ve been resisting most compulsions sans avoidance (though I’m edging back into not doing so slowly) but still find the freeing feeling of this not being my ‘main’ obsession has not returned yet. Any motivation or success stories would be great, even small successes

Well...

My OCD started when I was 11, shortly after my dad died in an accident. My obsessions were varied but they focused on harming others. When I was 15, I started getting nasty thoughts about having sex with children.

This lasted for almost 40 years. I never told a soul. I had fears of abandonment and incarceration because of my thoughts.

The last 10 years, I researched and ruminated on whether I had OCD or not.

I'm like Caramoole, in that when I was a teenager, OCD was poorly understood and talking about mental health was taboo.

I was forced into confronting my thoughts and fears at the age of 48. I was disgnosed with OCD. A fairly severe case to boot.

Finally I had an answer. I wasn't crazy or psychotic.

I threw myself into recovery. I took group CBT. I lurked here. I became quite educated on OCD. I was put on meds.

Above all else, I did the work. All the advice we give here every day... I took it and did it. If my anxiety rose, I did it anyway. 

It took about 18 months to be free from OCD. I get occasional obsessions, just like everyone else. The difference is, I don't do anything about them.

Understand that other people have recovered or at least gotten to a much better place. They have chosen to leave this place and get on with their lives. That's cool. I've chosen to stay and help where I can.

I didn’t use any medication, I just waited it out. 

OCD is our primitive brain at work. It’s our amygdala & it protects us. It’s just too sensitive for modern times.  By age 25 our neocortex or new brain is formed. It’s our logic & reason center.  Ignoring our amygdala response shifts us to our neocortex. 

12 hours ago, Handy said:

I didn’t use any medication, I just waited it out. 

OCD is our primitive brain at work. It’s our amygdala & it protects us. It’s just too sensitive for modern times.  By age 25 our neocortex or new brain is formed. It’s our logic & reason center.  Ignoring our amygdala response shifts us to our neocortex. 

I don’t mean any offence here but I think the fact many have struggled with OCD for decades shows it’s not something most of us can just wait out. I’m not sure if that’s what you were saying, and I’m not sure about the scientific validity of your claims either, but I’m not sure if waiting it out is the best advice - if you were trying to give advice, that is.