Hi,

I've had periods through my life of extreme OCD affecting me.

For a while I was ok, but recently I've had a massive episode. Everything turned to a compulsion, there seemed to be no theme. It was affecting literally everything I do. I could barely eat or drink. I'm in touch with the crisis team now, and I've been given diazepam by the doctor. I had made quite good progress this morning. This afternoon though, extreme anxiety crept in and I started feeling compulsions again.

I know I'm supposed to ignore them and just get on with things, but how do you ignore them when they seem to be attached to literally everything? Has anyone been in a similar situation?

I can barely do anything all day.

I really appreciate any replies I can get. Thank you for your help this forum is great.

Hi, I can relate so much to this post. Sounds like I’ve written it! So you aren’t alone, I have been given clonazepam and could barely function, every minute was an issue. Are you still taking the diazepam? If things are continually bad and you don’t even have a break in the day to be calm, make sure you take the medication to try and give you some relief so you can calm and start to see things differently. Is there anything you like doing that helps you switch off? Like a favourite tv show or reading etc? If you can try immerse yourself in something else and keep the anxiety down for over an hour you’ll start to see a change. Also as annoying as it sounds, you have to keep telling yourself you are capable! When you tell yourself the opposite and have the attitude that everything you do will go wrong or trigger you it sets you up for disappointment. Remember you are stronger than this and you can get through the day!

Thank you for your reply.

The problem I have is that everything seems to have compulsions attached. I like the idea you suggested though that once I take the diazepam I could then try to relax for a bit.

I'm so anxious all the time that I can't sit still to do anything as then the compulsions come in worse. Maybe though if I have the pill first, then I can try it.

It's good to know I'm not alone.

I feel like this has erased all of the things I used to do so I can't actually remember what I like, or feel that I like anything.

I also feel like I've been taught all the techniques I need, I just can't apply them because the anxiety is so high. Do you have any advice for how to switch off?