I seem to have been doing ok the past few mornings. I wake up with extreme anxiety then have to leap out of bed immediately before all sorts of compulsions creep in. When I do though, I immediately seek things to do and try to do them in a non OCD way. The truth is that I'm probably not doing them without compulsions because there are so many, they creep in everywhere. The point though is that I'm able to do some things, rather than be disabled and lie down all day doing nothing.

However once I get to early afternoon the anxiety is so very high that I can't sit still, and have to constantly move about. There's no way I can possibly try to do anything because the compulsions become so strong. I thought these things were supposed to fade away and allow your anxiety to ease.

The only way I'm then able to get through that portion of the day is to take a quite strong diazepam pill.

Yesterday I was lying down shaking, unable to do anything. Today I experienced that possibly even more strongly. Then I broke down crying for quite a while.

Does anyone else experience this? I've just started taking sertraline, so maybe that's related. I just don't understand why the anxiety gets so very high. I thought this stuff was supposed to go away?

The sertraline will take time to come into effect up to four to six weeks. The diazepam should be treated as a short term aid as its efficacy can wear off after a period. Do you have anxious thoughts or an anxious mood or a combination? What are the nature of the compulsions? Have you booked any therapy?

In AM your cortisol or stress hormone is high & your serotonin smaller so you obsess. Get up & exercise to reverse.

In PM your mind is tired so you’ll obsess more. Take a nap. 

Meds take 8 to 12 weeks & in that time your anxiety rises. 

I agree with Handy.. get some exercise or go for a walk. Your more than likely sitting around waiting for the anxiety to go but while your thinking about it it wont