Anxiety after sleeping

When I wake up from sleeping my anxiety runs riot. I am in a bad place for an hour. My thoughts take over and I find ruminating and carrying out my obsessions almost impossible to stop.

This tends to ease as time passes but I dread going to bed.

Is this normal?

31 minutes ago, Gary S said:

When I wake up from sleeping my anxiety runs riot. I am in a bad place for an hour. My thoughts take over and I find ruminating and carrying out my obsessions almost impossible to stop.

This tends to ease as time passes but I dread going to bed.

Is this normal?

Hi Gary,

Yes I think this is normal due to your circadian rhythm as your cortisol level is highest when you first wake up. 

I find I often feel very anxious first thing but that if I eat something quickly afterwards (even if I don't feel like it!) then I start to feel better more quickly.  

If you're into exercise then going for a morning run might also help. Alternatively start the day by writing down three things you're looking forward to. 

This happens to me too.   My mind racing, feeling sick. It happens as soon as I'm awake.  I try calming down by listening to the birds and looking at the trees outside my room window.   However, as suggested by others exercise could be the answer    I'm going to try this to see if it will help 

10 hours ago, Chirpy said:

Yes I Anxious more in the morning but as the day goes on I my thoughts get less and so does anxious feelings

Your serotonin builds up.  Until you get tired. So nap time.