Giving up ruminating and Compulsions

I have just started my CBT treatment today. I am trying to stop my ruminating and compulsions. 

Is it normal to feel like you're giving up drugs or alcohol?

My guilt and anxiety have gone through the roof, I feel like confessing all to everyone and cannot see light at the end of the tunnel. 

Is this normal?

57 minutes ago, Gary S said:

I have just started my CBT treatment today. I am trying to stop my ruminating and compulsions. 

My guilt and anxiety have gone through the roof, I feel like confessing all to everyone and cannot see light at the end of the tunnel. 

Is this normal?

yes?? not laughing at you, im laughing because yes. indeed. it. is!

i can tell you what is happening to you if you want, you dont have to read if not interessted:

the fear-center in your brain, amygdala, is designed to keep you safe and alive at any cost. when you have ocd, this fear-center is being alarmed when its not supposed to.

That means that when you are not doing compulsion and really want to- you are fighting against your own survival instinct. 

to answer your question- yes. 

Edited by ocdishell
ocd
48 minutes ago, ocdishell said:

yes?? not laughing at you, im laughing because yes. indeed. it. is!

i can tell you what is happening to you if you want, you dont have to read if not interessted:

the fear-center in your brain, amygdala, is designed to keep you safe and alive at any cost. when you have ocd, this fear-center is being alarmed when its not supposed to.

That means that when you are not doing compulsion and really want to- you are fighting against your own survival instinct. 

to answer your question- yes. 

Thanks very much. Read the whole lot too! Makes me feel much better 

3 hours ago, Gary S said:

Is this normal?

Yes, totally normal, and that's the reason why it is so hard for us to not carry out compulsions. Fear gets stronger at the beginning but long-term fear and thoughts become minimized. 

Generally one begins with easy ones first, say one on a scale of ten. Then get used to it. 

For some anxiety can take days or weeks but eventually it clears up. Trust in the process!