Is making up scenarios common?

I have posted a couple of times and found the answers and advice really helpful. 

3 months ago I had a thought that at the time I put down to an intrusive thought.  A few hours later I thought 'did I do that?'

In my mind now I have 2 possible versions of events. One which I mentioned earlier, just putting it down to an intrusive thought and a second where my thought happened. 

It was that long ago I can't remember where this second scenario come from. I think I made it up while ruminating to see how my mind reacts. 

Does this really happen that people make scenarios up in their mind?

If I have understood correctly....Yep- I do this a lot and have issues sometimes recalling what actually happened in a situation and what I made up in my mind and ruminated on- sometimes called a "false memory".  

There is another alternative for you to consider. That it doesn't matter and you can let this go, spending no more mental time on it.

OCD, in a way, is about the quest for certainty. The unfortunate truth is that doing compulsions never leads to the certainty you seek. 

You always have the option of not doing compulsions and giving up the search.

1 hour ago, PolarBear said:

There is another alternative for you to consider. That it doesn't matter and you can let this go, spending no more mental time on it.

OCD, in a way, is about the quest for certainty. The unfortunate truth is that doing compulsions never leads to the certainty you seek. 

You always have the option of not doing compulsions and giving up the search.

This is what I’m desperately trying to do myself. I suffer with similar worries but also current ones too. For example today I unbuckled my child from her child seat and I had desperate anxiety before I ever did it but in my mind cos I’m acting weird or unnatural doing it I’ve done wrong to her. It’s so hard.