OCD in a 7 year old

hi all

not officially diagnosed yet but my 7 year old son is displaying OCD.  It was so bad the other week I had to take him to a&e.  Currenlty waiting a CAMHS referral.  Looking for advice, I suffer with anxiety so its hard work trying to keep on lid on my own stress as I need to be there for my son.  Its heartbreaking seeing him so upset.  Doesnt display the symptoms at school.  any advice welcome!

Hi Louisa,

I am sorry to read that both you and your son are struggling. I think you are doing the right thing by getting him seen and a possible diagnosis in place. That way you’ll be able to get the best support and help available. 

I know you have said he doesn’t display symptoms at school but are they able to provide any help or support for him? There may be people he can speak to there which may help him open up? 

On 15/07/2021 at 10:33, LouisaJayne said:

hi all

not officially diagnosed yet but my 7 year old son is displaying OCD.  It was so bad the other week I had to take him to a&e.  Currenlty waiting a CAMHS referral.  Looking for advice, I suffer with anxiety so its hard work trying to keep on lid on my own stress as I need to be there for my son.  Its heartbreaking seeing him so upset.  Doesnt display the symptoms at school.  any advice welcome!

Hi LouisaJayne,

The forum is happy to help with advice if we can :)  Did you know we do also offer a free two-hour OCD educational webinar for parents with children with OCD.  This is designed to help parents with the many questions they may have about OCD whilst waiting for CAMHS. If this might be of interest you can register via our website here - https://www.ocduk.org/parents-webinar/

I think the next one is full up, but if you message Zoe (zoe@ocduk.org) she can put you on a cancellation list. I think she is about to add two more dates too today or Monday.

It's not unusual for OCD to display at home but not at school (or at work for some adults with OCD).  I was the same with work, I was mainly ok at work but home was where my rituals kicked in because I had to maintain this safe environment of my flat or bedroom when I shared I guess. 

Try not to worry, if it is OCD there is hope :)