Hi

Me and my mum will be starting the process of getting help.

Did anyone worry about what the therapist might say? How did you get over the confidence barrier to be able to say you have hocd, tocd or pocd?

We will be using an NHS one.

Thanks

First, you just say, I'm pretty sure I have OCD. No h, p or t needed in front of OCD.

Second, I was so sure I would be locked up and my family would abandon me if I spoke about my thoughts, that I never said a word. For nearly 4 decades.

Don't wait another minute. Any OCD therapist with experience has heard it all. Just like us.

Thank you PolarBear

One of my worries is that they will not know Pure OCD. I have been told by someone that not many therapists know it.

Is there any tips you can give for speaking about it to a therapist please? I clam up very easily.

You don't need to talk about Pure O, either. It's reslly a useless term.

All OCD has obsessions that cause distress and compulsions, usually with a good dose of doubt thrown in. And all the different types are treated the same way.

No other terms or acronyms are required. 

7 hours ago, Green Bunny said:

Thank you PolarBear

One of my worries is that they will not know Pure OCD. I have been told by someone that not many therapists know it.

Is there any tips you can give for speaking about it to a therapist please? I clam up very easily.

“Pure O” is not a diagnosis, it’s just a phrase a guy made up. If you look up GAD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, you can compare it. 

Hi Handy,

I was just preparing for therapy and was wondering what questions I should ask the therapist. I realise now that Pure OCD is not worth mentioning as it is all OCD.

I am aware of GAD and I would imagine all therapists would be equipped with skills to deal with that which may help me.

Thank you.

You can start out (if you need to) by being vague and saying that you have horrid, disturbing thoughts that upset you....they will take the lead and help you to discuss them.  We also have a form the you can download and print off.  We created it for this very purpose.  You can find it here GP Ice Breaker form

Hi Caramoole,

Thank you so much I never realised you had this. I will def give it a look.

This might be explained in the link you gave but does the GP need to know the exact thoughts I have?

Thank you