Intrusive thoughts when I wake up

I don’t know if anybody else finds this, but when I first wake up I feel like I get an onslaught of distressing thoughts. 
They tend to be that I have some fatal or potentially fatal illness I’m unaware of. 
I feel bad as where I feel better than a few days ago I still get that lurching feeling in my stomach. Maybe it just takes time?

Same here I’m struggling to get out of bed , I used to be up at 615 now I struggle for 830. I just have no motivation, work meaningless, as you say onslaught of anxious thoughts and feel sense of dread. Just hope it will get better. 

2 hours ago, Mthecatlady said:

I don’t know if anybody else finds this, but when I first wake up I feel like I get an onslaught of distressing thoughts. 
They tend to be that I have some fatal or potentially fatal illness I’m unaware of. 
I feel bad as where I feel better than a few days ago I still get that lurching feeling in my stomach. Maybe it just takes time?

Hi Mtcatlady, 

Yes I get this too and think it's very common for most OCD sufferers. 

This is what helps me but I'm sure it won't help everyone- I focus on three positive things about the day or three nice things from the previous day; I tell myself I'll think about the OCD related matter later because I don't need to give it my full attention immediately; I get up as quickly as possible and eat something (the reason people feel like this first thing is physiological so I treat it like a physical symptom by eating; exercising would also help) and turn the TV on, work out what I need to do that day or talk to someone.  

Edited by BelAnna

Hi BelAnna,

Thanks for your reply. I like the idea of three positive things to focus on. I started a gratitude journal a while back, and that was to write three things I’m grateful for that day. I think I’ll try it again. 

Good point, I can lie in bed for a little while but then my body gets restless and as you say some movement/exercise is required. I generally have one coffee a day (Costa usually) late morning it helps me get through work. Don’t feel like I need anymore but I also have 4/5 cups of tea. 

10 hours ago, Handy said:

In Am your cortisol or stress hormone is high & serotonin is smaller. So you obsess about stress.  Exercise reverses these. 

I never realised that before. I do find I’m literally awake a couple of minutes and it starts bombarding me. 

What I always went to, when my OCD was at its worst, was calm music/this forum (especially with a nice bath). Knowing I wasn't alone helped me so, so much.

Another thing that helped was sitting outside/taking walks (exercise, and being in nature, help calm the body down).

My anxiety would always be there when I woke up, so I'd usually do one of those, early in the day.

At the risk of sounding cliché, breath exercises, and mindfulness, really do wonders against anxiety.

This is really helpful - I'm going through a rough spell at the moment and it's always worst in the mornings! ? I wake up and the thoughts are there waiting. ? Even if I can acknowledge the thoughts as just that, it's harder to shake off the physical symptoms of anxiety first thing. Does anyone else find it makes you feel shaky and weak? 

15 hours ago, ivybasil said:

This is really helpful - I'm going through a rough spell at the moment and it's always worst in the mornings! ? I wake up and the thoughts are there waiting. ? Even if I can acknowledge the thoughts as just that, it's harder to shake off the physical symptoms of anxiety first thing. Does anyone else find it makes you feel shaky and weak? 

It’s hormones.  Plan for it so you know what to do. That’s what I do. I rarely get it anymore.