If OCD was a product what would it be?

Guest jude

Hi everyone,

I am just asking some thinking questions to get a better understanding of OCD in visual terms. If any one can answer them i would really appreciate it!!!!

If u were to paint a picture of OCD what would it include and why?

:original:

Judith

Guest Gryphon

Hi everyone,

I am just asking some thinking questions to get a better understanding of OCD in visual terms. If any one can answer them i would really appreciate it!!!!

Judith

van gogh screaming person would be quite apt think its van gogh any how

Edited by Guest
Guest ebrads

my first image of a painting was a big red circle, with a punch hole int the middle! probably because i feel like im going round in circles, it makes me angry and i want to punch it!! and no im not aggressive! :haha:

Guest Gryphon

Is that Munch The Scream painting?

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/munch/

That the one was never any good at artists names,

unfortunetly OCD doesnt care whether your male or female it holds no prisoners,

i chose that because of the despair it clearly shows and how it seems in the background people are walking away and dont want to know,

totally differnt on this forum of course

They call it the secret illness

Edited by Guest
Guest sweetie

Difficult one this. At first I imagined a hammer banging away, annoying the hell out of you, constant thoughts hitting you and hurting you and unable to stop it; a noisy out of control ceiling fan, going round and round and unable to get any peace and calm like thoughts going round and round in your brain. An annoying telephone with someone at the end of it keep saying horrible hurtful things to you until you get very upset. A dripping tap that you can only stop very occasionally annoying the hell out of you.

Other images ocd conjures up are things that go round and round - a roundabout ofcourse trapped on it and unable to get off. A tornado inside my brain with a hammer and a tap and a ringing telephone going round and round in the whirlwind. Being trapped behind bars in a dark place while outside its gloriously sunny is another image that springs to mind.

One of my obsessions is about my hair being even which of course puts in mind thoughts of any measuring equipment , scissors etc. Another is about hurting other people's feelings and trying to avoid any confrontation, which makes me feel like I'm hiding in the middle of a pile of cushions or like a mouse in it's little hidey hole.

Don't know if that helps at all.

Guest hellonwhls

It would be the most expensive product out there... because the production Co. would have to spend soooooo much on advertising and still nobody would want it.

Thick oil paints, mostly black, purple and green. Layered on the canvas until palpable to the viewer. Burgundy and blood red stains dripping down the centre. My face mostly hidden by the colours as I stare through the ancient windowpane, broken-down and worn.

aaargh, rather dismal analogy... sorry

Edited by Guest

Hi everyone,

Judith

Hmmm not sure about a product but I think of ocd as a horrible ugly parasite, feeding off me, feeding off my fears and worries and taking over my life as though it wants to live it's life through me.

Me paint a picture?? Ha ha I'm not sure thats a good idea as I'm no artist and my talent just about gets to stick people standard!!! But my picture would have one side of the page all black and miserable - like a land thats been ravaged by some terrible war (in the grip of ocd) and the otherside as the optimistic side of how the land will look once again, all green and lush with animlas and birds (thats when the ocd has been forced out)

Flap

Guest Michael

hey jude,

those little illustrations at the top of this site are very good i think..

i guess any kind of Catch-22 representation is the most obvious - depends what aspects of it u r

looking at i guess? - there's also the effect on a person's emotions, family, friends, covert behaviour, etc.

the last (rather morbid!) picture of it that i got in my head was a head full of knives, where behind

each knife there is a smaller, subtler, but maybe sharper knife in some way, always waiting to jab u

again (ouch!)

Edited by Guest
Guest ExpectoPatronum

I thought I'd offer my own version XD

It's not a product but it is clearly what I see OCD as. I'm a Pure O, self-diagnosed so far as I explained long ago (GP just dismissed me with - it's natural to feel ishy when working on a thesis, here you'll be having a weekly dose of Prozac, he also added he was the only one who could say I have OCD, after hardly listening to my rush explanations that I had such awful anguishing thoughts, and that I had read loads about the subject and believed that was my problem). In any case, I suppose many of you have read the Harry Potter books. When one is "in the grips", as someone very fitly expressed it, I completely feel like one attacked by dementors. It is as if all the joy in your life had vanished, and only the darkest, ugliest things ever thinkable of in the world remained, even those that have really nothing to do with your life. And one is certainly "absorbed" into it, when one breaks out of it even for a little bit, one realises how ridiculous it all is, and how useless it is to reason with it, but how difficult not to!

But still some times one feels one needs to sort it out - gosh! I thought last time I had a rough patch I had learned (yeah, sure) to say - you stay there, you are in no condition now to analyse things at the moment, and though you think it is so important, you are to let it go, as it'll all turn round and round itself. I suppose in the end, what's at the bottom of everything is the need for certainty. Easier to say than to convince oneself about how futile such thinking is!

Guest chokoreto

I guess it wud be layers of black and white grainy photos layered on top of one another, or the lastest work by william kentridge (a v.famousartist from south africa), which is a film full of creepy images made of normal innocent objects which usually are safe but creepy in the film, which is to the tune of a really old opera from 1910-ish and is both creepy and melodramatic.OCD is the little crooked, hunchback man in my head pulling the wrong strings.

random thought=Anyone know of the dementors in harry potter, i think j.k.rowling is representing depression.

do not disturb the dust-it is disturbed enough as it is.

Edited by Guest
Guest starbrite

Question: If OCD was a product, what would it be?

Answer: Something commonly used to make fertilizer!!!!! In other words, :censored: !!!

And THIS is how I would picture it: :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Guest soodle

hey,

i actually tried to paint my ocd last year.

i wasnt very satisfied with the result though....

i imagined 2 tones of red - like a mark rothko painting...but cut down the middle...like the cortexes in the brain...

the split represents me fighting against the thoughts - and feeling this split...ripping cos of the tension...

the other image is a grey rectangle on black... not sure where that came from but anyway!

soodle

Guest linesman

well for me if I were to paint it, it would be like drugs (ie ecstasy, lsd), but my drugs would have reassurance written on them, the first one would be tiny, but then thet tablets would get bigger and bigger and i'd need more to feel reassured. But at the same time i'd be desperatly trying to kick the habit

not sure about a product, i'll come back to that one.

Guest hellonwhls
There seemed to be no use in waiting by the little door, so she went back to the table, half hoping she might find another key on it, or at any rate a book of rules for shutting people up like telescopes: this time she found a little bottle on it, (`which certainly was not here before,' said Alice,) and round the neck of the bottle was a paper label, with the words `DRINK ME' beautifully printed on it in large letters

I don't have to be told

do you?

Edited by Guest
Guest ScottOCDid

When one is "in the grips", as someone very fitly expressed it, I completely feel like one attacked by dementors. It is as if all the joy in your life had vanished, and only the darkest, ugliest things ever thinkable of in the world remained

:yes: I agree; this is the analogy from the Harry Potter stories that I used in my talk at the Bristol conference. Great minds and all that... although there may not be much of a market value for Dementors! :)

S

Guest ExpectoPatronum

Great minds and all that... although there may not be much of a market value for Dementors! :)

Nope, I'm sure I for one wouldn't buy a Dementor! But it certainly is a good description of what it feels like. Although I think it'll only make sense for people who have experience it. Catch-22 indeed.

I think ocd could be sold as a great big helium balloon with a teensie weensie hole in it.People would flock to buy the brightly coloured fun balloons bobbing by the sales stand,but over time the balloon would leak a little until it was partly saggy.

When you go to play with it, it bobs out of the way,and just as you think you have pinned it down,off it shoots in another direction constantly evading your grasp.

As time passes,the balloon becomes a floppy,unwieldy bag of air,not much use for anything and a pain in the neck to be lumbered with,but it isn't quite flat yet so you are reluctant to throw it away.

Years later still,you discover it in the attic,and wonder what possessed you to buy it in the first place,let alone keep it for so long......

..............and finally you throw the darned thing in the bin and vow never to be fooled like that again.

(ok,the last line is me being hopeful,but I can dream can't I?!) :lol:

Thanks guys ur are really helping me to understand OCD in a visual way which will help me in my quest to produce an awareness campaign for OCD for my final project at uni

Thanks again and keep them coming

Love jude

:a1_cheesygrin: