Really Struggling

I’m finding everything so difficult at the moment.

I’ve been worried about contracting covid constantly for the best part of this year and everyday I’m finding it getting worse.

I’ve been trying to challenge and push myself more by going out and finally meeting friends but today we met friends for breakfast and the waiter kept coughing and sniffling and touching his face. The cough was quite bad and now I’m in total fear over the next few days incase I’ve caught covid.

I just can’t get over the fear abs it makes me feel scared to go out more I could really use some advice.

Hi Corrie,

I think it's great you are trying to face this fear and get out more. i have similar issues to you with covid and I know how my fear really adds into me noticing all the things that others don't. Every cough, every sniffle, every face touch...that is unfortunately a part of ocd isn't it, such attention to all the details that relate to our fear?

I think that is a good guage to see how the others in the group felt about the situation.

With covid (and all things related to health and safety) I think it's best to just follow the health reccomendations in your region and try to leave it at that.

Well this is the thing. I was with someone who had covid so they didn’t seem as concerned but my friend who is pregnant was.

I feel very uneasy now about meeting friends tomorrow and I just need some sort of advice because the level of anxiety I’m feeling has really escalated. 

his coughing has concerned me so much I didn’t know wether to message the restaurant and check as the day went on did he get sent home etc ?

I’ve noticed that it’s good to watch how other people in your group are reacting to the situation. 

you probably noticed your friends weren’t too bothered by it, so why should you be? Covid is here to stay but you can’t live your life in fear because of it. You immediately thought it was covid, but the waiter might’ve just had a cough that was unrelated to covid. 

Obviously still take precautions if it makes you feel more comfortable. Pretty sure places still offer sanitiser and stuff like that? 

I just want to add that I was worried about covid at first but I make sure I’m around people who have a healthy mindset which then gives me a healthy mindset. I know that we like having control over situations especially with OCD but it doesn’t work like that. Some things will be out of your control and this is one of them 

Which one of them had covid?? I’ve had a look through your other messages and can’t see where you’ve mentioned that. 

Either way, wait a few days and do a test. Not one of those home tests because they can give a false positive, you need to book a test on the gov website at a walk in or drive in centre if you’re worried. 

Obviously I don’t know how old you are but I know a few people that have had it between early 20’s to 50’s and they were fine, so don’t always assume the worst. @Corrie22

I didn’t think I could get tested unless I had symptoms 

I don’t know how many days to wait but it’s this fear I have of now going out incase I develop covid and my head is telling me I should be sensible and stay in. It’s hard though because my family don’t want to stay in,

im not worried about me it’s me passing it on to someone vulnerable? 

Exactly. You don’t know for a fact. I coughed the other day and I don’t have it. People can cough and it can be completely unrelated to covid. You’re only obligated to take a test if you’ve been in close contact with someone who has also been tested positive. Don’t stress yourself out about it, keep living your life as normal and if you start feeling a bit run down then you can do a test. 

Stop doing this to yourself, I promise you’ll be fine 

Also just a reminder - not everything is your responsibility and you can’t live life based on a what if. Not saying you will, but if you did pass it on to someone else then that would still NOT be your fault. You can only do so much so stop giving yourself a hard time and stop worrying about things you can’t control. you’ll be a lot happier 

Edited by thistooshallpass1996
Adding on

I think this is where I can see past.

I feel like the responsible thing to do would be to stay indoors for a few days but it’s not exactly possible with a family.

I feel like if someone we saw then got it it would be because I didn’t make the choice to stay in.

I don’t even know anymore I’d the waiter did have it would they even contact us? I still have the app but I don’t think anyone else uses it anymore and that stresses me.

it was a few times he coughed and kept sniffing and touching his face, it’s one of the rare times I’ve went out for brunch so just feel like it’s been a huge step back for me now ?

While not 100% effective, masks do a great job - as long as you follow government advice by both wearing one, keep 2m apart and have the windows open you'll all be fine, despite what the OCD is telling you. 

The ones spreading covid are those who are not taking any sensible (nb. not excessive) precautions.