CBT therapy

Ive had alot of stuff happen to me lately and struggling to get over. Such as loosing my job , struggling to cope around my mother law as she constantly bosses me. Find it really upsetting. 

I have decided to see a cbt therapist to help deal with theses issuse.

The therapist  has said to not engage with the thoughts. Ive said well i need to talk about it first and maybe think about alternative ways of looking at the thought. I feel i can't go straight to not engaging. 

The therapist has said a couple of times it would be very easy for her just to let me talk and her just listen but thats not what im saying either.

Its getting very frustrating and im 2 sessions in . 

I find very difficult to explain what i mean or what i need sometimes because I just get so anxious. 

Maybe i need someone to a mix of traditional therapy and cbt.

The problem is that talking too much about obsessions is a compulsion. It is you reacting to the thoughts, which is the last thing you want to do.

That said, having an overpowering mother-in-law may well not have anything to do with OCD and some regular talk therapy might be in order.

Hi Fefee,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a tough time recently, it definitely won't make it easier to challenge OCD. You mentioned that your therapist said;

On 01/09/2021 at 08:20, fefee said:

The therapist  has said to not engage with the thoughts.

Did they explain how to actually do this, because obviously if you could do this then you wouldn't have this problem. Is your therapist private or through the NHS?

Gemma :)

1 minute ago, Gemma@OCDUK said:

Hi Fefee,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a tough time recently, it definitely won't make it easier to challenge OCD. You mentioned that your therapist said;

Did they explain how to actually do this, because obviously if you could do this then you wouldn't have this problem. Is your therapist private or through the NHS?

Hi Gemma, yes i had 3 years of CBT therapy for pocd before i could let the thoughts be in my mind and not engage with them .

I know how to let thoughts pass through my mind .

However because its about loosing my job and dealing with feelings of anger, embrassment , loss of identity, self esteem. For me,  and i know every one is different , i need to work threw those feelings 1st. 

Hi Fefee,

1 minute ago, fefee said:

However because its about loosing my job and dealing with feelings of anger, embrassment , loss of identity, self esteem. For me,  and i know every one is different , i need to work threw those feelings 1st. 

If these feelings are preventing you from tackling OCD then it's natural to want to deal with them first and if that's possible then great. Just be aware that OCD might also increase these feelings so trying to deal with them before tackling OCD, may not be an option.

Thanks for everyones replies. Its helped me organise my thoughts to write a letter to the therapist explaining what i want from therapy as ultimately its my choice.  If shes not comfortable offering talking therapy 1st then thats totally fine. 

Ive also talked to another therapist who does CBT but intergates other therapies for a more intergrated approach.  

1 minute ago, Gemma@OCDUK said:

Hi Fefee,

If these feelings are preventing you from tackling OCD then it's natural to want to deal with them first and if that's possible then great. Just be aware that OCD might also increase these feelings so trying to deal with them before tackling OCD, may not be an option.

Usually with previous cbt therapist i have found talking about whats bothering me 1st ,then we move to challenging thoughts and thinking about them in a more positive way then we do exposure therapy if needed. Then non engagement and sitting with tjose feelings . All my last 3 therapist have worked this way. I find it bizarre in 2nd session to just say dont engage .