I hope this is okay post this.

I've been writing a book and wanted someone to maybe give it a quick proofread to see if everything is okay. Maybe Check for typos or anything that shouldn't be there. That will be a big help to myself and the book I might be self publishing to raise awareness about Harm Ocd. The book is about four fictional Characters who suffer from harm ocd where you get urges act on the thoughts you are getting.

I could maybe post the attachment as a private message if that's okay. If you post me a private message with your e-mail address and I could send you the manuscript if that's okay.

Edited by grams88

Hi grams 88,

Sorry, I'm not applying for the job! But as a past editor, writer and proof-reader myself, I thought it might be helpful for others reading your post if you could specify exactly what you're looking for in your proof-reader. As you've posted on an OCD forum, are you hoping for an opinion on the content as well as general proofing? Or are you just wanting it checked for grammar and spelling? It's important for a proof-reader to know what is being asked of them before they start.

I wish you success with your book. :)

Hi Snowbear

That's an interesting point you raise there Snowbear. I notice when I was searching for proofreaders a lot of them do focus on many aspects when it comes to the proofreading. At the time of posting my message I managed to get someone to give it a go. :)  I'm still learning more about how the proofreading system goes, funny thing was I was looking around for proofreaders online and I noticed you can make good money from it and they do as you were saying a lot of content and opinion based proofreading.

I managed to get someone to give it a proofread and I will bear in mind what you were saying, the grammar and spelling might be the one I'm probably going to focus on more at the moment. Out of interesting how have you found the proofreading yourself? Is it a difficult one to do or is it the more you do it the more used to it you become.

Thanks for the help and wishing me success Snowbear. :)

If you're good at English and know your grammar rules inside out, then proof-reading is easy peasy. If you're not confident of when to use a comma or a semicolon, when to put the full stop in or outside of brackets, how to divide up paragraphs and reunite split infinitives then it might be best to get someone who does to go over your writing before you self-publish. :)

There are websites like Grammarly that do it for free. Also, most word processing programs can give hints. 

Aside from spelling and vocabulary, there are certain grammar differences between British and American English. ... The Britishare also more likely to use formal speech, such as 'shall', whereas Americans favour the more informal 'will' or 'should.’ 

16 minutes ago, Handy said:

Aside from spelling and vocabulary, there are certain grammar differences between British and American English. ... The Britishare also more likely to use formal speech, such as 'shall', whereas Americans favour the more informal 'will' or 'should.’ 

I like the way you Americans say Asperger's = ass burgers. :D

Hi gramms88

Get a proofreader who will edit for your audience. Writing a scientific paper is  different for writing for a blog or writing a novel. For example you use the verb ‘get used’ in your post.  I suppose the infinite would be ‘to get used (to)’. I don’t think ‘Adam slowly got used to the the thoughts bombarding his mind…..’ would be a no-no. If writing a novel from the insiders view of an OCD sufferer I would not write ‘Adam habituated slowly to the thoughts….’. I would use the colloquial term. Personally I have never found the software grammar checkers that useful. Of course slowly habituated has different connotations to habituated slowly! 

Edited by Angst