How close is Tourettes linked to OCD?

Does anyone else think Tourette’s and OCD are similar in a lot of ways? 

I’ve noticed at the minute I have a lot of the same traits of someone with Tourette’s has. 

Someone with Tourette’s might have ticks that they can’t control, people with OCD might have compulsions they CAN control but feel like they have to still do to get the anxiety back down.

I started off having this one compulsion where I’d say something repeatedly until it felt ‘right’. Obviously I’d never do it in front of anyone because they’d think something was wrong with me. 

so for example, I’ve started doing a couple more compulsions but they’re more like ticks. Obviously I can control them to an extent because they’re anxiety based, but they just happen like a natural reaction now. I have no idea how they came about either. 

I’ll have an intrusive thought and then I’ll just do something physically to counteract it because I’m so used to reacting that way.  

It’s never just one set thing and it lasts for about 2 seconds, example: 

A whistle, clicking my fingers, shaking my head, facial expressions, tapping, clearing my throat, etc.

it can be anything on that list. Apart from that, I’ve got nothing wrong with me. I have relationships, I have friends, I go out. I don’t have a disability but if someone saw me when I was in the middle of doing those compulsions then they might think I have Tourette’s or needed looking after. 

Just an interesting theory that they could actually be similar/connected.

Does anyone else have the same sort of compulsions and do you think it’s possible for the tick/compulsions to develop into Tourette’s if they’re done every day? 

Edited by thistooshallpass1996

Hi thistooshallpass1996,

Tourettes and OCD are related conditions, in that a significant number of people with Tourette syndrome also have OCD. As Felix mentioned, tics are not something that can be challenged like compulsions in OCD. I have never heard of compulsions becoming tics and the things you describe sound like compulsions. 

Compulsions can seem almost automatic. Because as we get used to doing them, we become faster and faster at reacting to intrusive thoughts and doubts. But we can still stop doing them with the help of CBT.

Gemma :)

3 minutes ago, felix4 said:

Hi @thistooshallpass1996

I am sorry to see things are not going so well for you lately.

From what I understand, a tourette tick is a bit like holding back a sneeze, & there is kind of no way of stopping it.

I hope things improve soon mate, & all the best!

Yeah I’ve turned to the forum for a lot of support lately because of my personal life outside of this but I’m alright. 

I’ve got a habit of just chucking all my thoughts and feelings into a post when I’m in a bad way, not realising how open I’m being but then you don’t see the other 90% of my life where I’m still functioning, going to work, getting stuff done. 

I like this forum because it’s there if you need to talk to someone who actually knows a bit about what you’re going through, more than your family and friends would. 

I’m not saying I have Tourette’s, but compulsions and ticks really aren’t that far off. Depending on what the compulsions are. I feel like I could definitely stop doing it if I actually tried and I’ve probs made it sound worse than it is

@felix4

6 minutes ago, Gemma@OCDUK said:

Hi thistooshallpass1996,

Tourettes and OCD are related conditions, in that a significant number of people with Tourette syndrome also have OCD. As Felix mentioned, tics are not something that can be challenged like compulsions in OCD. I have never heard of compulsions becoming tics and the things you describe sound like compulsions. 

Compulsions can seem almost automatic. Because as we get used to doing them, we become faster and faster at reacting to intrusive thoughts and doubts. But we can still stop doing them with the help of CBT.

Gemma :)

Hi @Gemma@OCDUK

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this. 

Yeah that makes sense, was just thinking about it and wanted to see what other people thought ? 

I might need to get back into my CBT.