transferring care from one borough to another

Hi all, 

Just wondering if anyone has any tips please for transferring my son ( adult - 25  - OCD+ depression + miserable and loosing hope - he's a very able chap - high intellect  and has had to leave unie Biochem  at a prestigious unie so feels somewhat urghh to say the  least  - plsu all hte pandemic added   ..  having tried so hard after many attempts all twarted by damn ocd )  NHS psychiatric care  and GP   from  one borough/ county to another   - back to family home/ GP having been at unie in another part of the country.

He, parents and docs,  have until now,  decided that was best to leave him where he was as at least he's in the system - especially since it took a whole year to get him properly transferred and into the NHS mental health system when he moved care from London to his unie location. 

Now with the pandemic  demands we have been equally reluctant .Yet his brother,  who has remained in the home system and also  has mental health challenges  has easily re-entered ( for the third time  - but he does have T1 diabetes too - think might help??)  the NHS  mental health  system  and has got help - not a psychiatrist  or therapy but occupational health  support - which will help boost his confidence and get him occupied and out of the house ( we are paying for private therapy and psych) .  Occupational health support would really help the son stuck  with unie location support structure that  is now too distant and stops him from getting the wider support beyond meds - and an easier hope of the possibility of therapy.          

Any ideas pl. to :

- get an easy effective transition  - so he doesn't go to the back of the queue  with ZERO support  -  and all his papers  follow him ( I had  to do the lot last time  - urghh !) 

- get any other occupational type support  ..... :

........... - he's at home in the circuit of Kings College / Maudsley/ SLAM Recovery College  etc ... (so maybe could get support as brother of the son who is in the local  system?  )  

- any charities that might be able to help 

- ano ideas please.

many thanks  

Hi 1LittleFoot,

As far as we know if you transfer from one borough to another, you will go to the bottom of the waiting list. As a lot of therapy is remote at the moment, is transferring necessary right now? I know you mentioned that your other son has an occupational therapist, is this something you could address with your son's current mental health team?

Gemma :)

mmm I can try ....  they've not previously offered occupational health .... I can dig around in the area nr unie  and see what there is so he can ask directly - see if any offered remote    .... might then prompt  action ....  

thanks 

I think switching GPs is relatively easy you just register at a new surgery. SLaM covers four boroughs and two of those boroughs are covered by Lambeth & Southwark Mind and they run a helpline as well as online directory of local and national services and agencies which can also include the two other boroughs covered by SLaM which are Lewisham and  Croydon. It is worth looking at their site and talking to people on their helpline.

Edited by Angst