COVID worries persist but trying to cope

In the past few days, my symptoms of OCD seem to have aggravated, since I used to feel safe after something has been disinfected, but now I would be sensitive to the tiny pieces of dust (like the tiny fabric threads from cleaning cloths) left behind after wiping, because I would consider those as potential hiding spots of the virus that I have failed to cover. I would then have to repeat the disinfection process until there is no such thing in sight.

I have searched on the Internet, and most of the information points out that the coronavirus can only live on surfaces for up to a few days. One of the publicised articles on the US CDC website, SARS-CoV-2 and Surface (Fomite) Transmission for Indoor Community Environments, states that "data from surface survival studies indicate that a 99% reduction in infectious SARS-CoV-2 and other coronaviruses can be expected under typical indoor environmental conditions within 3 days (72 hours) on common non-porous surfaces like stainless steel, plastic, and glass", and suggests that this 72-hour estimate is likely to be greater than the figure in reality, because that estimate is derived from experimental settings where conditions were sort of optimised for the survival of the virus. Therefore, there is actually no need to worry about the contamination of objects after a few days have elasped, since the viruses would have all died out automatically by then, if they were even there in the first place.

I have been trying to get a bit closer to normality. I put some of the things that I have taken away back where they used to be, so that I could give myself a feeling that things have at least largely returned to how they were. I have been searching online for places where I may visit during the weekend, and I also plan to join a friend in travelling somewhere, so that I can overturn the situation of always being stuck in the flat and shift my focus to more interesting and meaningful things in life. I have tried to get back to practising what I study to sustain a relatively normal life as well as to distract my attention from the obsessions. And above all, I have contacted the mental wellbeing service of my university and a talking therapy provider to see what kind of support I may receive from them. I think things will get better over time. Although it may be difficult for the symptoms to be eradicated, it is possible to live with some of them at manageable levels.

Edited by agreatsummer
  • agreatsummer changed the title to COVID worries persist but trying to cope

Good that you are being proactive and seeking to manage your symptoms. As a clinically vulnerable man, I am having my booster jab this Friday which is being rolled out in the UK; this, as mentioned in another thread, will enhance my confidence to travel. It is important not to get ourselves marooned.

I recently bought a pair of Rollerblades... Okay, so I'm in my sixties,  but I am young at heart... When out skating I don't have to make conversations or make eye contact with anyone... In fact, it is they who may something to me, or maybe not... I  just giggle a reply, and keep going... I am not honor bound to even react to others around me and that sets me free...

David