Is anyone else really missing the Zoom OCD Support group?

I'm feeling very alone with my OCD tonight and really missing the Zoom OCD Support group! 

I just wondered if anyone else is missing them? It was so great to hear from people who really understand what a horrible illness OCD is and who were going through the same/similar struggles.

Yes! For sure! This week will def be harder knowing that they are not running!

Kirstie did and Claire and Gemma do such a great job! And you're right @BelAnnahaving that peer support from others that understand has been invaluable! 

In fact never in a million years would I have been able to walk into an IRL support group, but because it was online it was so much less scary and easier to access and has been integral  to my recovery process. 

Hopefully they will find someone to take up the position and things will return to normal ASAP. 

23 hours ago, Keyboard Worrier said:

I didn't know they'd stopped! :sad: 

Haven't been able to do the last few weeks due to technical issues myself.  I find it a shame there's no way to catch up with members outside of the Zooms but I do understand the safety & security implications there.

Yes, just for a while though for staff recruitment. I find the same but like you can understand the logic behind it. 

Hope you're getting on okay? 

19 hours ago, Faultybraintank said:

Yes! For sure! This week will def be harder knowing that they are not running!

Kirstie did and Claire and Gemma do such a great job! And you're right @BelAnnahaving that peer support from others that understand has been invaluable! 

In fact never in a million years would I have been able to walk into an IRL support group, but because it was online it was so much less scary and easier to access and has been integral  to my recovery process. 

Hopefully they will find someone to take up the position and things will return to normal ASAP. 

Definitely! And I agree- they did/do an amazing job-the groups have been so helpful! 

I'm the same as you- I wouldn't be able to walk into a real support group. 

How are you getting on now?

Edited by BelAnna
2 hours ago, Anonanon said:

Hi all

How could i join this zoom session or get updates about it

Hi Anonanon,

This is the link to the Zoom support groups page https://www.ocduk.org/support-groups/online/ . They're not running at the moment, apart from the 'Over 50' support group so I'm just checking the page once a week until they're back up and running! 

The other OCD charity, OCD Action is also running Zoom/Skype support groups at the moment (but the OCDuk ones are pretty great!) ? 

Edited by BelAnna
1 hour ago, BelAnna said:

Hi Anonanon,

This is the link to the Zoom support groups page https://www.ocduk.org/support-groups/online/ . They're not running at the moment, apart from the 'Over 50' support group so I'm just checking the page once a week until they're back up and running! 

The other OCD charity, OCD Action is also running Zoom/Skype support groups at the moment (but the OCDuk ones are pretty great!) ? 

Thanks ? 

7 hours ago, BelAnna said:

Yes, just for a while though for staff recruitment. I find the same but like you can understand the logic behind it. 

Definitely! And I agree- they did/do an amazing job-the groups have been so helpful! 

I'm the same as you- I wouldn't be able to walk into a real support group. 

How are you getting on now?

Hey @BelAnna

Im struggling a bit! Trying to maintain my progress but got so much going on in life at the mo. It all feels a bit overwhelming.

How are you getting on?  

22 hours ago, BelAnna said:

Not really. :unsure:  I have had some decent advice on here over the last few weeks though! 

19 hours ago, BelAnna said:

Just had a look over there and it all looks a bit complicated.  So many choices and a limit on the amount you can use!  Do the Zooms have a similar 'feel' to the OCD UK ones? :smile:

Hi everyone,

It's only natural to miss the groups, I will miss them too. Just remember that you are not alone and we are working to get the groups up and running again!

We will be hosting our conference on November 27th and 28th this year, so that will be a good chance to feel part of the community again, while we wait.

Gemma :)

5 minutes ago, Gemma@OCDUK said:

Hi everyone,

It's only natural to miss the groups, I will miss them too. Just remember that you are not alone and we are working to get the groups up and running again!

We will be hosting our conference on November 27th and 28th this year, so that will be a good chance to feel part of the community again, while we wait.

Gemma :)

Hi Gemma, does that mean you're not expecting groups to start up again before December or even next year now?  :sad: 

3 hours ago, Keyboard Worrier said:

Hi Gemma, does that mean you're not expecting groups to start up again before December or even next year now?  :sad: 

Hi,

Just talked to Ashley and he said we will be doing something this year, it might just be on an ad hoc basis. I hope this is good news, I know it isn't every week but it's a start :)

Gemma

On 19/10/2021 at 18:08, Faultybraintank said:

Hey @BelAnna

Im struggling a bit! Trying to maintain my progress but got so much going on in life at the mo. It all feels a bit overwhelming.

How are you getting on?  

Aw no, it can be so difficult when you have a lot on. Do you have old therapy notes or self-help books to refer back to? Do you have a good support network? 

I'm very stressed as we're moving house in just over two weeks (it's a long distance move and we're putting everything into storage and moving to some short-term rentals before moving somewhere permanent so there's lots of change and uncertainty, which I struggle with and a removal company coming into the house to pack, which is a nightmare with contamination fears) and it's definitely having an impact on my OCD.

Do you have any nice plans for next week?

On 20/10/2021 at 09:25, Keyboard Worrier said:

Not really. :unsure:  I have had some decent advice on here over the last few weeks though! 

Just had a look over there and it all looks a bit complicated.  So many choices and a limit on the amount you can use!  Do the Zooms have a similar 'feel' to the OCD UK ones? :smile:

Aw, sorry to hear that! Are you having any therapy just now? 

Yes they do look a bit complicated- I haven't signed up for one yet as I really like the OCDuk one! I had thought about joining the Thursday morning general OCD one but I might just wait until the OCDuk ones are up and running. 

On 20/10/2021 at 13:55, Gemma@OCDUK said:

Hi,

Just talked to Ashley and he said we will be doing something this year, it might just be on an ad hoc basis. I hope this is good news, I know it isn't every week but it's a start :)

Gemma

Oh that's great! :) 

Edited by BelAnna

Useful thread just registered.

Wow Belanna that was last from sale to moving. I think having a removal company in to do the packing will reduce the overall stress for you all.

Edited by Angst
6 hours ago, Angst said:

Useful thread just registered.

Wow Belanna that was last from sale to moving. I think having a removal company in to do the packing will reduce the overall stress for you all.

Thank you Angst, yes  it has been quite quick- we just had one day of viewings in August and will be moved in a couple of weeks. 

I'm finding the move incredibly difficult and unsettling though and not knowing where we'll finally end up is bothering me a lot! 

How are you? Are your house repairs and general moving prep going okay now?

Edited by BelAnna

On course, Belanna but with a surfeit of anxiety. I plan to become more active two weeks after my booster shot. You must have had you house well priced and the primarily purpose of concentrating viewings is to engender a competitive ethos among the viewers as well as reduce the strain on the occupants. The context of moving is motivating me to seek any support available! Are you viewing potential rentals before signing contracts?

Edited by Angst
On 26/10/2021 at 11:01, Angst said:

On course, Belanna but with a surfeit of anxiety. I plan to become more active two weeks after my booster shot. You must have had you house well priced and the primarily purpose of concentrating viewings is to engender a competitive ethos among the viewers as well as reduce the strain on the occupants. The context of moving is motivating me to seek any support available! Are you viewing potential rentals before signing contracts?

Hi Angst, 

That sounds like a good plan- to wait until you've had your booster shot and also to seek support to cope with the move.

We are only going to be staying in holiday rentals until at least the start of February so we're not signing any contracts yet but it will give us time to find somewhere permanent. I am finding the whole thing incredibly difficult. We have lived in this house for over 20 years so it holds lots of memories and if I had a choice I would rather not leave it! 

Hi Belanna
 I remember reading about a list of the most stressful things and moving scored very high. I’ve started taking Prozac again. I have no problem going on it and off it. But I think that you’re aren’t keen on medication. Memories are in the head rather than the property. But it’s a big change. I have been in my property for a long time too. The average person move every five to seven years.

Edited by Angst
12 hours ago, Angst said:

Hi Belanna
 I remember reading about a list of the most stressful things and moving scored very high. I’ve started taking Prozac again. I have no problem going on it and off it. But I think that you’re aren’t keen on medication. Memories are in the head rather than the property. But it’s a big change. I have been in my property for a long time too. The average person move every five to seven years.

Yeah it's horrible! I actually asked a Psychiatrist at the CMHT for a Fluoxetine (generic prozac) prescription this week so I have that to collect this week but I'm not sure whether to start taking it at the moment as things are fairly awful. How are you getting on now? Are you feeling okay about moving?

I have had the worst day today. I'm not sure if you remember but despite not being particularly young any longer (still under 35 but I shouldn't be living at home any longer) I am living with my parents due to the severity of my OCD. Anyway my Dad had (a couple of months ago) told the owners of the holiday rental that we are going to be staying at/temporarily moving to next week, that we didn't need cleaning during our stay. Unfortunately it sounds like they've taken that to mean that we don't need professional cleaning before our stay either. This is something I have been anxious about for the last couple of months and I kept asking him to request cleaning before our stay and to mention that we just wouldn't need it to be cleaned weekly during our stay. I am really not coping with the prospect of staying somewhere that hasn't been professionally cleaned at the height of the Covid pandemic and when there is also a Norovirus epidemic. I have been asking my Dad all day to email to request a professional cleaning beforehand but he is too embarrassed and it's led to lots of arguments in our household! My fear of viruses (and particularly ones that cause vomiting) is so severe that I feel sort of terror/extreme fear about this and it feels like one thing too many to cope with. 

I am so sad about leaving this house and scared of the future and just generally feel in a state at the moment! I am borderline agoraphobic so barely leave the house so moving hundreds of miles away and in uncertain conditions is a huge problem for me. I don't know how to cope with the removals next Monday or all of the other contamination triggers involved in moving. An added stress for me is that even once we've moved my parents are planning to provide childcare for my little niece and nephew (both under 5 y/o) and they seem to be ill with one virus or another 90% of the time. I definitely feel like I can't cope with life at the moment. I'm not suicidal but feel really stressed out and unhappy!

Edited by BelAnna

@BelAnna Could you bypass your Dad and email the holiday rental owners yourself?  I'm sure some people will say it's a good exposure not to have it cleaned but to me it just seems like unnecessary extra stress on top of everything else at the moment, I don't see anything positive coming from that.  People without OCD are worried about Covid contamination in public areas so it doesn't seem unreasonable.  

The alternative would be to go round with spray or wipes on the first day, just cleaning any touch points (door handles etc) like the professional cleaners would.  As long as you only do it once and it doesn't become a compulsion to do every day I don't see that as a problem. :smile: 

Thanks Keyboard Worrier, I wish I could email the owner but I haven't spoken to him so far and I think it would come across as a bit strange if I suddenly email him. To be honest I'm not even sure if my parents have mentioned that I'm coming with them! 

I am going to try to see if my Dad will email him today but I wish my family understood how terrible this situation makes me feel. I would (and probably will) clean the house if it's not been professionally cleaned but I get so stuck when I do that and then if the shower isn't yet clean to wash afterwards, I feel like I can't really cope at all. An added stress is that my eldest brother lives close to where we're moving and we have to see him on moving day as he's flying to America the next day. I am just so stressed with it all.

I'm sorry you feel like you can't cope, I wish I could suggest something useful, though if I could I probably wouldn't be on here myself!  I suppose realistically you know you will cope, because there's not really an alternative.  Sometimes we do just end up being dragged through life events.  When I look back at some of the things I've done, I have no idea how I managed at the time.  Sadly, that doesn't make future events any easier in my case, but maybe it will in yours.

I think the best idea is to try and break it down into smaller sections as someone mentioned before.  Just focus on one day at a time, or half a day at a time, even one hour at a time when you're really struggling.  Focus on tasks small enough to complete, one small area of packing for example, and don't forget to regularly take half an hour to do whatever you find calming (listening to music, walking outside, etc).  

Do the same on moving day, just break it down into small tasks, write a list if you like (I know lists can be a problem for some but they do help me), tick off each item as you go through the day rather than looking at it as just one overwhelming task covering the whole day.

Oh, and start telling yourself you CAN cope and WILL manage, change that mindset! :biggrin: 

• 1 month later...
On 01/11/2021 at 12:51, Keyboard Worrier said:

I'm sorry you feel like you can't cope, I wish I could suggest something useful, though if I could I probably wouldn't be on here myself!  I suppose realistically you know you will cope, because there's not really an alternative.  Sometimes we do just end up being dragged through life events.  When I look back at some of the things I've done, I have no idea how I managed at the time.  Sadly, that doesn't make future events any easier in my case, but maybe it will in yours.

I think the best idea is to try and break it down into smaller sections as someone mentioned before.  Just focus on one day at a time, or half a day at a time, even one hour at a time when you're really struggling.  Focus on tasks small enough to complete, one small area of packing for example, and don't forget to regularly take half an hour to do whatever you find calming (listening to music, walking outside, etc).  

Do the same on moving day, just break it down into small tasks, write a list if you like (I know lists can be a problem for some but they do help me), tick off each item as you go through the day rather than looking at it as just one overwhelming task covering the whole day.

Oh, and start telling yourself you CAN cope and WILL manage, change that mindset! :biggrin: 

I'm sorry I'm so late replying but I just wanted to say thank you so much for your reply. Breaking things into units of single days really did help during the move and you're right that sometimes there's no alternative but to cope! I am really struggling again just now (my cute little niece vomited in the living room yesterday - cue major panic) but I'll try to tell myself I can cope through this too.

Hope you are well and getting on okay?

On 02/11/2021 at 20:05, Faultybraintank said:

@BelAnna so sorry your in such a tough spot at the mo. Thinking of you and sending you postive vibes :)

Thanks so much Faultybraintank! Moving has made me realise how close I was to full on agoraphobia before as leaving the apartment here feels so overwhelming but maybe it will give me a chance to get better. How are you getting on?

I joined the OCD action Thursday morning support group this week and embarrassed myself by typing in the chat box when I think it's more of a conversation only small group so not sure whether to go back for the next one in a fortnight or not! 

Edited by BelAnna