OCD during sex .... is it normal

Hi all

I was having sex with my gf this weekend and suddenly an image of my baby cousin crossed my mind.

I felt like i was thrusting harder when this thought struck.

I dont know...

Was it to get rid of this thought

or

because i wanted it in my mind unconsciously 

Is it normal for people to experience this...

Well it's certainly normal in the context of OCD. People without OCD also get unwanted intrusive thoughts during sex but the difference is they won't be bothered by them, they just ignore them and they're quickly forgotten about.

If you have OCD then you can latch onto these thoughts or images and can get very distressed by them, and you end up doing compulsions (such as seeking reassurance on this forum that the thoughts are normal) in order to alleviate your distress. The problem is though, that compulsions only make you feel worse and never help in the long run.

The trick is to observe these thoughts as they arise and let them pass, and get on with your day. You also need to work at reducing and eventually stopping your compulsions. It's useful to make a list of all of the compulsions you're doing and work at stopping them one at a time.

6 hours ago, Anonanon said:

Was it to get rid of this thought

or

because i wanted it in my mind unconsciously 

This is a classic example of ruminating on the thought and what it means... another compulsion which serves no purpose.