HELP! Triggers when ill

Been really ill this last week and haven’t left my bed this has been the perfect opportunity for OCD to arise and start ruminating. Last couple of days thoughts like you ‘can’t cope with the pain’, ‘may aswell just end it now’, ‘mam doesn’t trust you to be on your own’, ‘you won’t get better.’ I have not experienced these themes of thoughts before however because I’m vulnerable at the moment I’m guessing my OCD has decided to latch on to all those types of thoughts that are on my mind and are making me feel worse alongside the flu! Does anyone else have thoughts like this when they are ill??

Edited by JLouise
  • JLouise changed the title to HELP! Triggers when ill

Hi,@JLouise :)

I completely understand what you're saying I had flu last week as well and my intrusive thoughts just skyrocketed!

I also experienced very similar thoughts and would have to agree with your point about it taking advantage of our brains being in a vulnerable state, especially if you're bedridden and can't distract yourself with everyday life (it also doesn't help OCD seems to worsen during winter too!). 

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert at all, but as a fellow sufferer I'd say the best thing to do is not to ruminate on these thoughts (easier said than done I know!) and just acknowledge that it is the OCD just taking advantage then move on so you don't feed more fuel to the fire. Sorry for not being of more help, but I hope it helped to know you're not alone and it's very normal!

-Alyssa :))

Edited by alyssa07

My intrusive thoughts and general anxiety also skyrocket whenever I am physically unwell, so you are most definitely not alone! I think when we are at a low ebb it can be the perfect time for those kinds of thoughts to sneak in. I dread this aspect of being unwell more than the physical stuff!

I try to deal with it by reminding myself that it's not real, it's just part of the illness, like a fever dream, and also give myself 'permission' to park the thoughts, telling myself I will deal with them when better. Most times, once I am better the thoughts have gone away by themselves. 

I hope you feel better soon  :)