Help please....

I wonder if anyone can help...

My daughter has been diagnosed with severe ocd with arfid. We have been told by CAMHS to follow the full recovery food plan. My daughter is refusing to eat the meal I have made her and we were expecting this. She is now battling us to make her own alternative meal saying she is hungry. We are holding firm but it is a real stand off. I just wondered if anyone could just confirm this is the right move as to me if she is willing to eat that is better than not eating anything but I get its about challenging the ocd. Any thoughts/reflections and advice really welcome. Thank you. 

Hi Ian,

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is struggling with OCD and arfid. It's really hard to say what the right stance to have on this is, because I suppose it depends on why your daughter wants to have a different meal. If it was an OCD only based problem, accommodating the OCD would not be helpful, as in the long term it could make things worse. The best advice is to discuss the problem with CAMHS to see what suggestions they have. If this hasn't happened already, it might be also helpful if you daughter has pre-agreed the plan, therefore at times like this you can remind her that you are just doing what you all agreed and that you are there to support her through it.

Gemma :)