Bbc article - teen turns his ocd into job ?

Yeah I tweeted about this earlier GBG.  I won't comment on how he views his OCD, but the BBC have a duty when reporting about OCD to look beyond one case and report a balanced feature that makes it clear OCD is a serious condition. The Sun made exactly the same mistake last week in an article about a woman who says her cleaning helps her more than therapy did. 

I was generous with my comment on that story and suggested some people have very low insight into their condition, but I suspect it was something different.

I will draft a letter and send to all editors to remind them of their responsibility when reporting about OCD. 

I heard this lad interviewed on radio 5 live drive time show. I normally rate the presenters on that slot but it seemed to be more about name dropping the celebrities he washed the cars for - footballers and the swooning over the high end cars they owned.

it seemed to trivialise OCD.

I would be interested to hear what type of response you get Ashley.

Zykiah told BBC Breakfast that he first started by cleaning the cars of family and friends at the weekend before asking if he could clean neighbours' cars.

Hours after his mother posted in a local residents' group about her son's love of car cleaning, a queue of cars had formed outside the family home.

What utter nonsense!

The word "love" screams out that this is not OCD, & great, he has presumably been mis-diagnosed too! :rolleyes:

Edited by felix4