Periods and OCD

Yes! Very much so. They become so much more intense and frequent and seem to constantly morph into different obsessions. Then when hormones change, it eases a little but they’re still there. 

Although, until recently I’d tried to reason with them and didn’t realise that ruminating was also a compulsion but there is definitely an intensity and frequency change. It’s sucks although tracking it helps me a little as I know it’s hormones and OCD.

Tracking symptoms each month has helped me so I know why it’s so bad and trying to focus on what’s in front of me (easier said than done though). Otherwise it catches me off guard and the anxiety is rife. 

I’ve been trying to set myself targets lately like drinking more water, making sure I get outside every day even when it’s the last thing I want to do (especially when hormonal).

Getting enough sleep too. I find that I get insomnia beforehand and I’m generally exhausted too so that doesn’t help and I overthink everything. Deep breaths and meditation are helping me at the moment.

I don’t think I’ve ever been very mindful in my life as I’m usually jumping ahead or back in my mind so meditation and focussing more on what’s in front of me and finding fun things to do is helping. Not engaging with the thoughts that keep popping up too! 

Sorry, that’s probably not much help but those things are helping me at the moment.

Hope it gets better for you soon

I completely agree with everything already said! I also find increasing my iron intake the week before + during periods really help. Personally, I just make sure to take iron supplements, but I think eating more foods like red meat and spinach also help give you the extra energy to handle intrusive thoughts :)

OCD has an estrogen component so that’s what you’re seeing.  There is something called PSDD, if you’ve seen women go sort of bonkers during PMS that’s it.  The cure is actually pretty simple, progesterone cream from the gynecologist.

15 minutes ago, Handy said:

OCD has an estrogen component so that’s what you’re seeing.  There is something called PSDD, if you’ve seen women go sort of bonkers during PMS that’s it.  The cure is actually pretty simple, progesterone cream from the gynecologist.

Handy, I can't help wondering where you get all this stuff from. :unsure: 

Some people with PMS might be helped by hormone cream, but it's a lot more complex than your post suggests and the cure is often anything but simple.

As for 'OCD has an oestrogen component', again I think it's a lot more complex and variable than that, and the hormone imbalance idea doesn't neatly explain everything that women with OCD experience through their menstrual cycle.

Anyway, it might help if you present this kind of 'information' as a suggestion or opinion rather than stating it as if it was a known fact. I'm constantly on the borderline of removing your posts because of the way you present opinion/ hearsay/ a bit of knowledge as if it was indisputable fact and representative of the whole picture. :(