NHS Not Providing Treatment for OCD

5 hours ago, Madwife2009 said:

So, at the moment, all is good. I am really very proud of my daughter for turning this around in the way that she has.

Reading how much she's improved made my heart sing. That's fabulous news. :yes:

You should be really proud of her. I'm proud of her and I've never even met her! She's clearly a very strong-minded and determined young lady and will do well.

I admire too how you are simultaneously supportive while respecting her privacy (re the therapy sessions) and wishes (on the 2nd complaint.) All credit to you too, Madwife, for how well you've handled this. You must be where she gets her life skills from. :D

On 26/03/2022 at 16:03, snowbear said:

Reading how much she's improved made my heart sing. That's fabulous news. :yes:

You should be really proud of her. I'm proud of her and I've never even met her! She's clearly a very strong-minded and determined young lady and will do well.

I admire too how you are simultaneously supportive while respecting her privacy (re the therapy sessions) and wishes (on the 2nd complaint.) All credit to you too, Madwife, for how well you've handled this. You must be where she gets her life skills from. :D

Thank you for this, it's not been an easy journey but a worthwhile one.

Hopefully things will continue to improve so that she can return to her "normal" life in September. I think that her OCD/other issues were compounded by complications during her life at university but she realises this and is more aware of how external - and seemingly unconnected - factors can impact her. 

• 7 months later...

Just another update.

My daughter continued with her therapy until August. Her therapist was utterly amazing and helped her with all of her issues, not just the OCD, but how she was going to cope with situations after therapy had ended, her anxiety, everything that was bothering her. I don't know the details, obviously, but watching my daughter overcome her issues and start to flourish was enough to tell me that she was making progress. I think that her therapy sessions went on for a while longer than the therapist anticipated initially but it's clearly what was needed.

My daughter felt well and confident enough to return to university in September and although her dad and I were really quite worried about it, she seems to be doing really well. Her university were great and got her accommodation that is superb and (more importantly for us) was campus-based and ensured that it was affordable by sorting out a grant for a large part of the (enormous) cost. The university is making adjustments so that she can cope better there with her learning disability, which is boosting her confidence again. My daughter is living independently, which was a huge thing for her (and us). There have been stressful moments for her since returning but these have been ironed out. My daughter is very, very aware of when she's getting "OCD-ish" or if a previous trigger appears, has made people at the uni aware of when she might need help (by recognising certain behaviours) and knows that she can contact us at any time for help. Her therapist also stated that she can make herself available if needed on an ad-hoc basis. 

So, currently, all is good. Had she been left to flounder with the NHS then there is no way she would have returned to university this year. Going private for therapy was the best path for us; I appreciate that not everyone can meet the costs of private therapy and I also acknowledge that there are some excellent professionals in the NHS, just not where we are! As it is, she's got her life back on track and seems happy, although she says that she's lonely but hopefully once she gets back into the ways of the world at university, she'll make some new friends. She does still have a friend from her earlier years at uni, who kept in touch throughout her really bad period and when she was at home and although her friend has her own life, she's making time for them to see each other regularly.

Her dad and I still worry about her (but we're parents and that comes with the territory) but we are in daily contact so should see if things change. Hopefully my daughter now has the tools to keep the OCD at bay and we'll just turn out to be paranoid parents.

A big thank you to everyone who responded/helped us through a very, very difficult period. To everyone who is struggling with OCD/a family member's OCD: there is light at the end of the tunnel. We've been at a point where it was just darkness, my daughter was incredibly ill when we removed her from hospital. We had to fight all sorts of healthcare "professionals" (including the threat of detention under the MHA), we had to dive into something we had very little knowledge of and try to find the right help, it was like swimming in treacle. It was a steep learning curve and incredibly distressing and frustrating at times. But eventually there was a glimmer of light, which just got bigger and brighter. Be strong. It's hard, it's beyond hard but I really believe that we all have it within us to meet these types of challenge. And don't forget, it's not just the life of the individual that is affected, it's the people around them as well, so take time to look after yourselves as well.

That's wonderful news @Madwife2009!!

I'm delighted your daughter has got her life back, and indeed got more from therapy than just sorting the OCD.

You're amazing parents for how you've supported her and fought for her to get to this point. Well done to all of you! :clapping:

• 2 weeks later...

I second that......she and you have been amazing :clapping:  I'm absolutely delighted to hear your news and that she's doing so well, it just shows that even from the bottom of they pit and the depths of despair, sufferers can get well again.  It's incredible and very brave that she's gone back to university.  I hope she goes from strength to strength.  Thank You so much for updating us :)