Ocd taking over control

Would anybody be able to tell me way to cope with ocd while waiting for therapy. im struggling to get out of bed with magical thinking n i feel as if everything i do is wrong. i know the techniques for exposure and response prevention but putting it into practice is harder than ever

Hi there... Are you into music? I know it sounds a bit simplistic, but there are some brilliant inspirational movies on youtube.  Also, websites, 'Inspiration peak' is one. I also get my headphones on and listen to favourite music, in fact, the car stereo has fabulous speakers, so I listen in there. Radio... Anything to break up the intrusive thoughts a bit...  On youtube, watch concerts of your favourite musicians.  And stay in touch with good friends and aquaintances, and get time to sit in a Cafe for a cup of tea whilst reading a book, or magazine... You get to overhear other people's conversations, and it sort of brings things into perspective. On the first of December our Christmas deccos will be up...  Do you have to wait long? My first set of CBT sessions took a year on my local waiting list...

David

1 minute ago, Dakagraphics-David said:

Hi there... Are you into music? I know it sounds a bit simplistic, but there are some brilliant inspirational movies on youtube.  Also, websites, 'Inspiration peak' is one. I also get my headphones on and listen to favourite music, in fact, the car stereo has fabulous speakers, so I listen in there. Radio... Anything to break up the intrusive thoughts a bit...  On youtube, watch concerts of your favourite musicians.  And stay in touch with good friends and aquaintances, and get time to sit in a Cafe for a cup of tea whilst reading a book, or magazine... You get to overhear other people's conversations, and it sort of brings things into perspective. On the first of December our Christmas deccos will be up...  Do you have to wait long? My first set of CBT sessions took a year on my local waiting list...

David

Hi there

Keeping myself busy certainly seems to help so thank you for suggestion. im having trouble with activities at the moment whereby i have ‘told’ myself i cant do activities such as listen to music or i will get bad luck, this leaves me with no escapism. 

8 minutes ago, pawpcinnej said:

Hi there

Keeping myself busy certainly seems to help so thank you for suggestion. im having trouble with activities at the moment whereby i have ‘told’ myself i cant do activities such as listen to music or i will get bad luck, this leaves me with no escapism. 

Hi There :)

Much as it may seem so, we can override these false thoughts.  We create these rules, so we can break them at any time and no harm will come.  The only thing we have to fear is fear itself and the anxiety it creates.  Sadly, you're not escaping the anxiety anyway, you're still anxious so it's better feeling anxious whilst ignoring the false beliefs than hiding in bed and still feeling dreadful.  Therapy will help you to challenge your thinking and to expose yourself to these fears but ultimately it is you who will go away and do the work to get better.  You can do so much in terms of Self-Help whilst you wait.  There are some excellent books available and quite a lot of informational videos on youtube.  Do your best to get out of bed and write yourself a list of daily tasks to do.  It's time to start getting your life back and there's no time like the present.  You can do this :)