Medication with Private Therapy

Hello all!

I'm currently doing private CBT with a therapist but I'm having a bit of trouble dealing with the anxiety that therapy brings (i.e problems with sleeping/eating) and I feel like it's hindering my ability to fully partake in therapy. I was wondering if I wanted to start taking medication just to help whilst I learn the tools to deal with my OCD would I have to ask my GP or my therapist? Would the NHS even prescribe me medication if I'm not doing CBT through them? My therapist already mentioned about medication as my PHQ-ADS scores were marked as severe, but it was more mentioned in the general sense oh people with these scores usually take medication?

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

-Alyssa :))

Hi Alyssa,

I am finding therapy quite traumatic at the moment too. I went private for therapy after an initial referral by my GP. 
I take a low dose of Citalopram, an SSRI which is generally the first medication they try. 
I would speak to your GP and explain your symptoms and your therapy and ask if they can prescribe something. They might just do it or they may want a letter from your therapist. Whether your therapy is private or not won’t make a difference. They usually give you a week or two’s worth at first. Especially if you haven’t taken them before. 

Hope this helps!

@Mthecatlady Thank you so much? I have an unrelated appointment with my GP on Monday so I’ll have an ask then and see what they say. I don’t think my therapist would object to medication either way so that’s good news.

And I’m so sorry therapy’s rough with you as well at the moment! It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who’s finding it difficult though. I’m sure we’re just at the “it gets worse before it gets better stage” or at least I hope so :)just need to keep looking forward.