Started medication and therapy

Hi everyone, I would like to share with You that I started CBT and I also started to take medication for my OCD and other personality disorders. 

I never thought that CBT and medication can help with my severe OCD, it has been a second week on „escitalopram” SSRI medication and it really helped me to look at my OCD completly different way ! I also smile more often and I’m happier through the day. CBT helped me to see why there is no point in engaging in compulsions and what wrong with my thinking pattern. Also it took down my anxiety a bit so I can see these intrusive obsessions differently because anxiety does not put a negative filter on my obsessions. I really recommend taking medication and starting CBT.  I also take medication for a good sleep, I’m better but I still have much to learn.

Edited by ThomasOCD

@MthecatladyI live in Poland so some medications may have different names, I started taking escitalopram 5mg for 7 days at night now I’m on 10mg this is my 11th day and I already feel the difference, I also take the smallest dose possible of Ketrel(Quetiapine) 12,5mg for sleeping also at night, the lowest dose is 25mg so I have to split the tablet in half on my own. How long have You been taking medication ? SSRI start to work between 2-4 weeks. Some people feel the medication Working later than other

Edited by ThomasOCD

Hi Thomas,

I believe citalopram and escitalopram are similar in some way. I have been taking citalopram since March this year but just stuck with the lowest dose of 10mg. Since my anxiety got worse in August it hasn’t felt as effective really. 

@MthecatladyYou should speak to Your doctor about it for sure, some people have to take higher doses such as 15mg or 20mg. Worst thing about SSRI is waiting for the meds to kick in and sometimes getting the right dose, for me 10mg seems well. Escitalopram is stronger than citalopram.

Edited by ThomasOCD

@PolarBearYes, That’s how I started with 5mg for a week and now 10mg. When I started taking 5mg I had to help my self with Benzodiazepines because my anxiety and depression was really bad, but when I started taking 10mg it’s way better I still do the compulsions and I ruminate but it’s much much less with less anxiety than before. This my 14th day on SSRI.