It is possible. Bacterial infections and viruses can cause inflammation and changes to various physiological, hormonal and neurochemical responses that lead to worsened mental states. 

Strep (which causes bacterial tonsillitis) can also cause autoimmune responses which could potentially make OCD worse and which are linked to sudden onset OCD/PANDAS in kids.  

I just got a booster vaccine & it gave me a fever.  Revs up the thoughts for a day. The reason is because our amygdala or anxiety center protects us. So it sees a fever as being attacked & revs up safety measures like compulsions. Once you’re better, alarm goes off. 

Hi guys, @Handy @PolarBear @BelAnna

Thanks for your responses. 

I should probably mention I’m spending a lot of time in my room while I’m recovering so it could also be because I have a lot of time to think. I like to spend time by myself but then when I spend time on my own it always sets me back. 

I felt well enough to tidy my room today though and that seemed to help with the thoughts/anxiety as I was doing other things. Now I’m in bed and I’ve just stuck one of my favourite Disney films on to try help me relax (never too old for a bit of Disney) 

1 hour ago, thistooshallpass1996 said:

I have a lot of time to think.

100% recognised as something which makes OCD worse.

Forget blaming viruses and bacteria! Keep your minds occupied in useful ways people and you'll suffer less no matter how many viruses and bugs you catch. :)