Help! I’ve been with my partner for nearly 10 years now, and he’s tried various medications to help with his anxiety’s and ocd we are now currently on clomidpramine 40mg and awaiting to see a psychiatrist as there say he has severe ocd and possible autism which wasn’t picked up when he was younger. But it’s now taking over all of our lives and our children as he doesn’t want our son to go to school because of his anxieties, he barely leaves the house and if we do it can take up to an hour to get from the front door to the car because of all the checks he has to do, what can I do to help? 

Hi Emmachloee,

OCD will take over completely if you let it. It has no respect for the lives of it's sufferers, their partners, or their children. So if his OCD is starting to limit your son going to school it's time to stand up to the bully (OCD is the bully, not your husband!) and demand change.

Medication can't treat OCD, it only reduces anxiety and helps slow a racing mind. He needs CBT to tackle the OCD. Has he been referred yet? Seems to me it woyuld be more use to refer him for CBT than refer to a psychiatrist, as that's just an extra step before being refered on anyway.

17 hours ago, snowbear said:

Hi Emmachloee,

OCD will take over completely if you let it. It has no respect for the lives of it's sufferers, their partners, or their children. So if his OCD is starting to limit your son going to school it's time to stand up to the bully (OCD is the bully, not your husband!) and demand change.

Medication can't treat OCD, it only reduces anxiety and helps slow a racing mind. He needs CBT to tackle the OCD. Has he been referred yet? Seems to me it woyuld be more use to refer him for CBT than refer to a psychiatrist, as that's just an extra step before being refered on anyway.

we have been referred for 1-1 therapy but this was over a year ago, 

9 hours ago, Emmachloee said:

we have been referred for 1-1 therapy but this was over a year ago, 

That's an unacceptably lomng wait. The average wait is at most a few months. It may be you've fallen through the cracks in the system somewhere, but definitely needs to be chased up. If you have difficulty please email the charity office here and we'll help you put pressure on them to get things underway.