Hi,

Another rant.  I needed to get a new face mask for the car this morning.  I always put them in a freezer bag to keep them clean.  I couldn't find a freezer bag so my husband helped me.  I asked him to wash his hands as he was loading the dishwasher and had washed the children's water bottles up.  He refused and got me a freezer bag.  Now I think it's contaminated.  What if the coldsore virus was on any of that stuff (or any virus), none of us have one although but my husband does get them.  Also, the children's water bottles are put with other children's water bottles at school.  I think it's the fact that the mask sometimes touches my lip and I panic / feel unclean.  I was in a rush so had to take the mask and I did use it and it did touch my lips.  I'm now going over it, wishing I hadn't used it and fighting the urge to get a fresh one in a new 'clean' freezer bag.

I hate feeling like this.  

I’m going to guess your husband doesn’t have OCD so will not see the same contamination risks as you do. It wouldn’t be helpful if he fed it either as if he followed your compulsions too then it would give them greater credibility and make it worse.
Try to take your mind off the ruminating about the contamination. I know that’s difficult. 
I feel lost without sanitiser but have realised nothing awful will happen if I don’t have it with me. Are you taking medication or seeing a therapist?

42 minutes ago, Mthecatlady said:

I’m going to guess your husband doesn’t have OCD so will not see the same contamination risks as you do. It wouldn’t be helpful if he fed it either as if he followed your compulsions too then it would give them greater credibility and make it worse.
Try to take your mind off the ruminating about the contamination. I know that’s difficult. 
I feel lost without sanitiser but have realised nothing awful will happen if I don’t have it with me. Are you taking medication or seeing a therapist?

Thank you for replying. I tried medication and didn't get on with it.  I've had a bit of CBT on the NHS.  I'm trying self help books but it's tough.  

Frankly, your husband was right not to wash his hands. Why should he take unnecessary steps to feed your mental disorder?

Getting others involved in our compulsions is a step too far. Instead of trying to get others to do your compulsions, put your energy into understanding why you don't have to do those compulsions in the first place.

On 07/12/2021 at 23:31, PolarBear said:

Frankly, your husband was right not to wash his hands. Why should he take unnecessary steps to feed your mental disorder?

Getting others involved in our compulsions is a step too far. Instead of trying to get others to do your compulsions, put your energy into understanding why you don't have to do those compulsions in the first place.

Thank you PolarBear.  Yesterday I had a good day; I still did a few compulsions but managed to resist lots too.  Today, not so good so far.  Some days seem to be easier than others for some reason.

10 hours ago, Busy Fool said:

Thank you PolarBear.  Yesterday I had a good day; I still did a few compulsions but managed to resist lots too.  Today, not so good so far.  Some days seem to be easier than others for some reason.

Oh, that's the way it goes. If we could only flip a switch.

Every morning, tell yourself you're going to try hard to resist compulsions and let the thoughts be. If you slip, be kind to yourself. Tomorrow is coming soon.

Edited by PolarBear