Intrusive thoughts Urges

Hi there,

Does anybody know why Harm-OCD intrusive thought’s give you urges to harm somebody even though you would never do it in your life? It’s like your not just fighting the thought but fighting the urge too which makes me scared and a bad person. This is what gets me into the negative cycle.

I’ve also noticed I can’t help but thought block and neutralise my intrusive thoughts, does anybody have any tips on how I can just accept rather then do this? 

Thank you :) 

Obsessions are intrusive thoughts,  images,  feelings,  urges,  impulses or sensations that cause distress. Note the word urges.

These are completely normal with OCD. They don't mean anything. They are what they are.

The problem is when you attach meaning to them, take them seriously and do compulsions.

Because OCD comes from our amygdala in the brain.  It’s job is to protect us. But sometimes it gets a bit overzealous trying to protect. At age 25 we get a Neocortex & this is logic based. 

8 hours ago, Handy said:

Because OCD comes from our amygdala in the brain.  It’s job is to protect us. But sometimes it gets a bit overzealous trying to protect. At age 25 we get a Neocortex & this is logic based. 

In case anybody gets misled by this, just a reminder that OCD is an illogical disorder and having a fully developed Neocortex doesn't protect you from getting it!

Also OCD doesn't 'come from' the amygdala. OCD comes from how we interpret our thoughts. It's the interpretation of thoughts which triggers anxiety and activates the amygdala.