Can this happen

Hello,

Does anyone experience this -

You’re in the middle of doing something and then get an intrusive thought like ‘this could be bad or have a bad consequence if done differently or if I do this faster this could be bad or is this bad or what if this harms xyz’ but then continue doing it (because really you know it’s not that bad and our intention isn’t to harm anyway and you were doing it for another reason but then you’re mind makes you believe otherwise) then afterwards you feel guilty for continuing to do something whilst you got an intrusive thought? Does this make any sense?

is this Catastrophizing ?  

Edited by M238
More info
6 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Welcome to OCD. An endless cornucopia of wicked, sublime and downright stupid thoughts, analyses and behaviors.

Leave it alone. It's all nonsense and it's how you react to the thoughts that causes problems.

How exactly! downright stupid thoughts, analyses and behaviors! Sometimes I don't even know how to laugh or cry from all this. ? I apologize for the mistakes, I am Russian.

4 hours ago, Handy said:

It’s called Just Right OCD.  Does that sound right?

@HandyI’d never heard of this before and I’ve had ocd for many many years - the following extract resonates with that has happened to me recently. I had a panic attack last night due to the way I did something and the fear of it being potentially harmful - I had no intention of doing any harm, at the same moment I got this intrusive thought and my mind went into overdrive.

Feelings of guilt may also accompany just right OCD.4 People feel a sense of responsibility to ensure things are safe and are driven to perform compulsive behaviors. These can be physical acts (i.e., tapping, repeating the behavior in the moment of being triggered, visual checking) or mental (i.e., praying, thinking reassuring thoughts, mentally reviewing the sequence of actions prior to the trigger as a means of achieving certainty that things are OK).

Edited by M238
Replying back to forum user
25 minutes ago, Katrin1994 said:

How exactly! downright stupid thoughts, analyses and behaviors! Sometimes I don't even know how to laugh or cry from all this. ? I apologize for the mistakes, I am Russian.

@Katrin1994thanks for your reply, no need to apologise.

I hope I can get over this and I’m finding it very tough at the moment 

6 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Welcome to OCD. An endless cornucopia of wicked, sublime and downright stupid thoughts, analyses and behaviors.

Leave it alone. It's all nonsense and it's how you react to the thoughts that causes problems.

@PolarBearthank you - I had a panic attack last night due to what happened - the sheer possibility of causing potential harm and then repeating this behaviour to check and also continuing by not giving my thoughts any attention has really been distressing to me - to describe the magnitude of stress this has caused me , I am still clammy from my panic attack last night.

How can I  let go of this? I find it harder to let go because there was a behaviour involved alongside the intrusive thought so it feels a lot worse when both coincide with one another - Everything is fuzzy at the moment and I feel awful. 

I understand you! I just tell myself: this is my next obsession! I also reacted earlier, now I am getting out of this. it is important to understand that all this should be ignored. Thanks to this forum, I read a lot of messages and made a conclusion for myself that all thoughts and obsessions should be ignored. if you don't, you can get stuck and go even deeper! I write with the help of a translator, so there may be errors)

3 hours ago, Katrin1994 said:

I understand you! I just tell myself: this is my next obsession! I also reacted earlier, now I am getting out of this. it is important to understand that all this should be ignored. Thanks to this forum, I read a lot of messages and made a conclusion for myself that all thoughts and obsessions should be ignored. if you don't, you can get stuck and go even deeper! I write with the help of a translator, so there may be errors)

Thanks @Katrin1994

Im going to try that 

3 hours ago, M238 said:

@PolarBearthank you - I had a panic attack last night due to what happened - the sheer possibility of causing potential harm and then repeating this behaviour to check and also continuing by not giving my thoughts any attention has really been distressing to me - to describe the magnitude of stress this has caused me , I am still clammy from my panic attack last night.

How can I  let go of this? I find it harder to let go because there was a behaviour involved alongside the intrusive thought so it feels a lot worse when both coincide with one another - Everything is fuzzy at the moment and I feel awful. 

It does take time. I'm sorry you felt panicky but congratulations on giving it a try.

Practice is the key. Try to focus on something else, like what you were doing before the thought struck. What you are doing is really teaching a part of your brain that the thoughts are not important.

5 hours ago, PolarBear said:

It does take time. I'm sorry you felt panicky but congratulations on giving it a try.

Practice is the key. Try to focus on something else, like what you were doing before the thought struck. What you are doing is really teaching a part of your brain that the thoughts are not important.

@PolarBear thanks does it get better