Reminder on doubts

Good question - funny how often someone asks something and I end up giving advice that I need someone to remind me!

I think that the wondering is a compulsion and I also think it's doomed to fail to give you any comfort. So, to tackle doubts - stay in the present, the absolutely right now, and try to speak to yourself in a neutral voice. Hmm...I'm doubting something, Huh - look at that. Oh, there it goes again - doubting. Oh this feels pretty uncomfortable. I recognise this feeling. What shall I get on with that's useful or positive while I wait for it to move on?

You can also try bringing into your head a credible, kind person's voice to observe for you. I had a little gang of them doing a running commentary on me earlier this week when I was in a doubting panic.

(think I'm going to paste that to my mirror! hope it helps).

1 hour ago, Darwinia said:

I recognise this feeling. What shall I get on with that's useful or positive while I wait for it to move on?

Good advice.  Try and work on "recognising that feeling, that anxiety".  It's often quite a specific feeling, sense of anxiety and it's that that then builds into feelings of panic or doom.  We then tend to dissolve into a round of compulsions, particularly rumination and sit there ever building up the anxiety.  We have to try and accept that OCD will throw a thought in that suddenly makes us fearful.  We have to recognise this as an OCD thought.  We then have to try and bring our attention into the moment and continue with what we were doing (or get busy with something), all the while working on not getting into the internal dialogue, the rumination.  In essence this short paragraph is what the book "Brainlock" suggests.  It's a good skill to keep practising on recognising the feeling that comes along with these thoughts