Has anybody had any experience with taking these? I’ve been given them to take 3 times a day, my heart rate was 120 so above the normal 60-100 at rest. I have found they’ve helped with my anxiety but especially my heart rate (which literally just goes crazy) I definitely feel more relaxed too. Has anybody else been on these/taking them now and did you find a positive effect? Also do you know if this can effect OCD in a positive way too? 

10 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

No they have no effect on OCD or on mood.  They largely work by slowing down heart rate and other mild physical anxiety symptoms

I have noticed they’ve calmed me down massively with my anxiety, I always got really bad palpitations and a very fast heart rate so it has defo worked for that but thank you :) 

4 hours ago, Summer9173 said:

I have noticed they’ve calmed me down massively with my anxiety, I always got really bad palpitations and a very fast heart rate so it has defo worked for that but thank you :) 

You should find out what’s causing those symptoms.  Caffeine? nicotine? Did you get a blood panel?

4 hours ago, Handy said:

You should find out what’s causing those symptoms.  Caffeine? nicotine? Did you get a blood panel?

I did however it all came back normal! I’m quite healthy so I don’t drink coffee etc so maybe it is genuinely just the anxiety causing all of this 

I take propranolol for migraine. It works for me for that. It has also helped for my general anxiety in that it makes me feel less stressed out and reduces my heart rate. I don't find it does anything for my contamination OCD. Still waiting for CBT for that.

“Propranolol appears in the blood after 30 minutes and has a maximum effect between 60 and 90 minutes when taken by mouth.”

It’s kind of short. For palpitations or a fast beat, putting ice on the cheeks is used. This is because heart nerves are in our cheeks as weird as it sounds. Safer & no side effects.  A bag of frozen Vegs works too. 

I use propranolol to ease anxiety when I get into an OCD episode.

I have been great OCD-wise since March, and without anxiety symptoms so haven't needed them.

What got me free of the OCD was learning to apply my CBT lessons, keeping an active schedule of beneficial distractions  and learning Mindfulness and relaxation  techniques which stopped me slipping back into an anxiety state. 

Take away the root cause of anxiety and the unwanted physical issues can fade away, as is the case with me.

I think it's also important to conquer any other forms of worry that may be causing anxiety too.

Worry is pointless, and solves nothing. 

A great help towards resolving worry issues is to apply the serenity prayer. 

Lord, grant me the serenity to; Accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And wisdom to know the difference.

Edited by taurean