Do I stay up with my son

It’s gone 2am and my 16 year old son hasn’t finished his tasks before going to sleep.  Ocd is hand washing   Do I stay awake till he is ready to go to sleep or do I leave him to carry on till he has finished   Asking him to finish up results in the Task taking longer   What do I do ?  Ve been staying and keeping him company and also doing some of his tasks but tonight I’m too tired 

• 4 weeks later...

From experience. You need to break the cycle. I have too stayed up until tasks are complete. And if someone interrupted it would mean doing it all again. 
however my daughter also has it. 
it’s going to be hard. Maybe lots of crying. But you mustn’t let them do these compulsions. But you can’t just stop someone mid flow. But don’t encourage it by sitting up with them. 
I would suggest offering to do these for them. 

Try changing the day up. Maybe go to a hotel for a night or a sleepover somewhere. visit grandparents. Completely change the routine. Don’t mention this is why, just suggest friends to come to stay at the weekend or something. 
My husband let me do my compulsions but I wish he sought for help and had taken me out of the situation. He just was feeding it more by letting me continue. 
when I moved out to live with my parents it all stopped. I wasn’t in my own environment and had my mind taken away from my rituals. 
this really helped. I’m not saying it it’s going to be easy. It’s absolutely not. 
Breaking the cycle is the way! 
keep the mind busy with other things. 
I hope this helps