Do I stay awake with my son

It’s gone 2am and my 16 year old son hasn’t finished his tasks before going to sleep.  Ocd is hand washing   Do I stay awake till he is ready to go to sleep or do I leave him to carry on till he has finished   Asking him to finish up results in the Task taking longer   What do I do ?  Ve been staying and keeping him company and also doing some of his tasks but tonight I’m too tired 

Hi CCC123,

I can understand how difficult it must watching your son dealing with OCD. It can be even more difficult when an individual doesn’t know how to deal with it which can also affect family members. With OCD it’s important to know that individuals will engage in safety behaviours to relieve their anxiety. These are called compulsions. Now your son is staying up late at night to complete these tasks and you’re also staying awake to be there for him. Although I know you have the best intentions and are trying your best to support him but this won’t help him in the long term and will only fuel his OCD. 

Is your son seeing a therapist? or has he had an official diagnosis? This would be beneficial for him as it will help support you and your son to deal with OCD. 

There is alot of information on the OCD-UK website for family/friends who are concerned about their loved ones and what they can do to help support them. There’s also a separate forum for loved ones where you can find others dealing with the same problems ?

Bismah