I’m really nervous this morning as I’m having to see a family member I’ve unfortunately had an obsession about. I’ve been reminding myself there is actually nothing real to worry about here: I’m just anxious because of my disorder.

I’ve also been really trying to stay ‘afloat / on the surface’ of the obsession. I’m not so good at this; typically I can only bring myself to not ‘dig deeper’ (aka start doing some light compulsions before stopping) until after I’ve done a few rounds of compulsions, and then I decide to go the full way and cut them altogether. Though this seems reasonable, in truth it has made them more difficult to dismiss and more likely that they’ll come back. I’ve been trying hard to not go beneath the surface of the thought and into the sludge that lies underneath.

The reason I’m writing this is because I’m going to try really hard to make this a good day. If I begin to get scared or anxious, I’m going to take a deep breath and remind myself I have a mental illness, forgive myself for it, and carry on. 

I really want to be able to report back at the end of the day that I’m proud of myself and have done what I said I would. I’d consider it a good win for me. Thank you for always supporting me on this forum (-:

Edited by Pikachu
8 hours ago, iamwesker said:

Wow that's a great attitude to have and very inspiring to see. Good luck today and I hope all goes well. I look forward to hearing how it goes!

8 hours ago, malina said:

Good luck @Pikachu, you've got this! You have a great mind set going into this and you'll be so proud of yourself afterwards!

6 hours ago, Busy Fool said:

Good for you, you can do it!  

Thank you everyone, I’m pleased to say it went well! I even felt quite calm after a while, but as far as I can tell I didn’t do any obvious mental compulsions. I felt very happy afterwards (-:

10 hours ago, Pikachu said:

I’m really nervous this morning as I’m having to see a family member I’ve unfortunately had an obsession about. I’ve been reminding myself there is actually nothing real to worry about here: I’m just anxious because of my disorder.

I’ve also been really trying to stay ‘afloat / on the surface’ of the obsession. I’m not so good at this; typically I can only bring myself to not ‘dig deeper’ (aka start doing some light compulsions before stopping) until after I’ve done a few rounds of compulsions, and then I decide to go the full way and cut them altogether. Though this seems reasonable, in truth it has made them more difficult to dismiss and more likely that they’ll come back. I’ve been trying hard to not go beneath the surface of the thought and into the sludge that lies underneath.

The reason I’m writing this is because I’m going to try really hard to make this a good day. If I begin to get scared or anxious, I’m going to take a deep breath and remind myself I have a mental illness, forgive myself for it, and carry on. 

I really want to be able to report back at the end of the day that I’m proud of myself and have done what I said I would. I’d consider it a good win for me. Thank you for always supporting me on this forum (-:

Good for you, so pleased it went well. Think it’ll be good if you can go again at some point to hammer it home that everything is fine. 

Edited by GreenJet68
Didn’t see the post above.