Anyone contamination OCD. New here

Hi there... I was... My very good friend Marcus john kim has written a series of books called Ocd snippets, which are available on kindle. They have literally been to hell and back. Both them and I went through CBT with ERP at the same time period. There are lots of books to help us. My favourite is by an American doctor, by the name of David Burns. I need to buy a copy of my own, having given my copy away! It is called 'Feeling good, the new mood therapy', it is quite old, so can be got on ebay. My OCD developed from depression, I found Dale Carnegie's books helpful too... I'm pleased to say that I am in recovery stage now. I still wash my hands a little more than I would like... 

David 

@KaTiee I have contamination OCD. In the past I've had other kinds of OCD too. You're not alone. I've also used ERP to tackle a previous contamination OCD theme before and it worked! I'm mid-tackling another one now. 

We're here for you! Welcome to the forum :)

On 09/01/2022 at 00:12, Hedgehog said:

@KaTiee I have contamination OCD. In the past I've had other kinds of OCD too. You're not alone. I've also used ERP to tackle a previous contamination OCD theme before and it worked! I'm mid-tackling another one now. 

We're here for you! Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you. It’s nice to know you’re not the only one in a brain mess!

On 07/01/2022 at 00:54, PolarBear said:

Why don't you give us some more information. How does your OCD manifest? What are your rituals? Have you been diagnosed? Sought any help?

It’s all day long 24/7. It’s got worse as I’ve got older. I was basically born with it. I have early memories of it from about 5 yrs old. Been diagnosed with it as an adult.  Also general  anxiety & depression. Been to hell and not really back. Haven’t got on with CBT and exposure kills me. I’m literally on my last hope now. Hanging on by a very thin thread. It would be easier for everyone if I wasn’t around. And definitely stop my pain. 
bet you wish you hadn’t asked now lol. 
thanks for asking though

On 17/01/2022 at 13:24, Madchoc said:

Hi I suffer from contamination OCD too. You are not alone. 

Do you find medication works? How about CBT? Neither has worked for me.  But I’m going to give it one last try. 
I’m trying to gather as much information as I can so I’m well educated about it. Unfortunately there are billions of people with it and no cure. Just hate being sad and scared all the time 

You're not alone. There's a whole lot of sufferers out there, many think like you.

ERP can be a bear to deal with if that's all you are doing recovery wise. CBT really has three elements. There is cognitive work, where you learn to think differently about the thoughts. There is identifying and slowing down/stopping your compulsions. And then there is ERP.